1959 Pan American Games medal table
The 1959 Pan American Games, officially known as the III Pan American Games, were a continental multi-sport event held in Chicago, United States, from August 27 to September 7, 1959. At the Games, 2,263 athletes selected from 25 National Olympic Committees (NOCs) participated in events in 18 sports. Nineteen nations earned medals during the competition, and eleven won at least one gold medal.
The ranking in this table is based on medal counts published by several media organizations. By default, the table is ordered by the number of gold medals won by the athletes representing a nation. (In this context, a nation is an entity represented by a NOC). The number of silver medals is taken into consideration next and then the number of bronze medals. If nations are still tied, equal ranking is given and they are listed alphabetically by IOC country code.
|3||First ever gold medal|
To sort this table by nation, total medal count, or any other column, click on the icon next to the column title.
|1||United States (USA) 1 a||115/ 122||69/ 73||52/ 54||236/ 249|
|2||Argentina (ARG) b||9||19/ 22||11/ 12||39/ 43|
|4||Mexico (MEX) c||6||11||12/ 13||29/ 30|
|5||Canada (CAN) d||5/ 7||19/ 21||24/ 28||48/ 56|
|11||Uruguay (URU) 3||1||3||4||8|
|14||Puerto Rico (PUR)||0||2||4||6|
|17||Guyana (GUY) 2||0||0||3||3|
|18||Netherlands Antilles 2||0||0||1||1|
|Total||156/ 165||156/ 165||153/ 161||465/ 491|
- ^a Some sources appoint that the United States actually achieved 122 gold medals, 73 silver medals and 54 bronze medals, despite the majority of reports counting 115, 69 and 52, respectively. This would result in a total of 249 medals earned by American athletes during the Games.
- ^b Some reports say that Argentina earned 22 silver medals and 12 bronze medals, instead of 19 and 11, respectively. This would result in a total of 43 medals earned by Argentinean athletes during the Games.
- ^c Some sources appoint that Mexico achieved 13 bronze medals, not 12. This would result in a total of 30 medals earned by Mexican athletes during the Games.
- ^d Some reports say that Canada placed fourth in the medal table, ahead of Mexico, after achieving 7 gold medals, 21 silver medals and 28 bronze medals. This would result in a total of 56 medals earned by Canadian athletes during the Games.
- Chicago 1959 (in Portuguese), Rio de Janeiro, Brazil: Brazilian Olympic Committee, retrieved November 1, 2011.[permanent dead link]
- Chicago - 1959 (in Portuguese), São Paulo, Brazil: Folha de S.Paulo, retrieved November 1, 2011.
- Pan Ams Timeline (in Portuguese), São Paulo, Brazil: R7.com, retrieved November 1, 2011.