This article does not cite any sources. (July 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|196 by topic|
|Ab urbe condita||949|
|Balinese saka calendar||117–118|
|Chinese calendar||乙亥年 (Wood Pig)
2892 or 2832
— to —
丙子年 (Fire Rat)
2893 or 2833
|Coptic calendar||−88 – −87|
|- Vikram Samvat||252–253|
|- Shaka Samvat||117–118|
|- Kali Yuga||3296–3297|
|Iranian calendar||426 BP – 425 BP|
|Islamic calendar||439 BH – 438 BH|
|Minguo calendar||1716 before ROC
|Seleucid era||507/508 AG|
|Thai solar calendar||738–739|
322 or −59 or −831
— to —
323 or −58 or −830
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to 196.|
Year 196 (CXCVI) was a leap year starting on Thursday (link will display the full calendar) of the Julian calendar. At the time, it was known as the Year of the Consulship of Dexter and Messalla (or, less frequently, year 949 Ab urbe condita). The denomination 196 for this year has been used since the early medieval period, when the Anno Domini calendar era became the prevalent method in Europe for naming years.
- Emperor Septimius Severus attempts to assassinate Clodius Albinus but fails, causing Albinus to retaliate militarily.
- Emperor Septimius Severus captures and sacks Byzantium; the city is rebuilt and regains its previous prosperity.
- In order to assure the support of the Roman legion in Germany on his march to Rome, Clodius Albinus is declared Augustus by his army while crossing Gaul.
- Hadrian's wall in Britain is partially destroyed.
- First year of the Jian'an era of the Chinese Han Dynasty.
- Emperor Xian of Han returns to Luoyang, which has been ravaged by war, and seeks for the protection of warlord Cao Cao. He is advised to move the capital to Xuchang; the Emperor becomes a pawn in the hands of the Chinese warlords.