1960 PGA Championship
|Dates||July 21–24, 1960|
|Course(s)||Firestone Country Club
|Organized by||PGA of America|
|Length||7,165 yards (6,552 m)|
95 after 1st cut
60 after 2nd cut
|Cut||151 (+11) (1st cut)
224 (+14) (2nd cut)
The 1960 PGA Championship was the 42nd PGA Championship, played July 21–24 at the South Course of Firestone Country Club in Akron, Ohio. Jay Hebert won his only major championship, one stroke ahead of runner-up Jim Ferrier, the 1947 champion. Only one player broke par in the final round; Wes Ellis shot 69 (−1) and finished in sixth place. Hebert's younger brother Lionel won the title in 1957, the last PGA Championship contested in match play format.
Third round leader Doug Sanders shot 73 (+3) on Sunday and finished two strokes back in a tie for third. Arnold Palmer, reigning champion of the Masters and U.S. Open, carded a triple-bogey eight on the 16th hole on Saturday, and finished five strokes back.
Palmer was attempting to win a third major in 1960; in addition to his wins at the Masters and U.S. Open, he was runner-up by a stroke at the British Open at St Andrews. At Firestone, Palmer opened with a 67 for the first round lead, but fell off the pace late on Saturday and tied for seventh; he won seven majors but never a PGA Championship. Through 2017, no player has won all three U.S. majors (Masters, U.S. Open, PGA) in the same calendar year.
Two-time champion Ben Hogan played in the PGA Championship for the first time since his match play victory in 1948. A third round 78 (+8) left him at 225 (+15) and he missed the 54-hole cut by one stroke.
Attendance figures were 14,141 for Sunday's final round, with a four-day total of 53,509.
This was the first of three PGA Championships at the South Course, which later hosted in 1966 and 1975. It is the current venue for the WGC-Bridgestone Invitational, which began in 1976 as the World Series of Golf on the PGA Tour. The American Golf Classic was held at Firestone from 1961 to 1976.
Past champions in the field
Made both cuts
|Player||Country||Year(s) won||R1||R2||R3||R4||Total||To par||Finish|
|Jim Ferrier|| Australia
|Sam Snead||United States||1942, 1949, 1951||68||73||70||72||283||+3||T3|
|Doug Ford||United States||1955||75||70||69||72||286||+6||T7|
|Dow Finsterwald||United States||1958||73||73||69||76||291||+11||T15|
|Lionel Hebert||United States||1957||75||72||70||75||292||+12||T18|
|Walter Burkemo||United States||1953||72||77||73||72||294||+14||T24|
|Jack Burke, Jr.||United States||1956||73||72||78||72||295||+15||T29|
|Chick Harbert||United States||1954||78||72||71||75||296||+16||T32|
|Henry Picard||United States||1939||77||73||73||73||296||+16||T32|
|Jim Turnesa||United States||1952||76||73||72||75||296||+16||T32|
Missed the second cut
|Player||Country||Year(s) won||R1||R2||R3||Total||To par|
|Ben Hogan||United States||1946, 1948||74||73||78||225||+15|
|Bob Rosburg||United States||1959||74||75||77||226||+16|
Missed the first cut
|Player||Country||Year(s) won||R1||R2||Total||To par|
|Chandler Harper||United States||1950||76||76||152||+12|
|Vic Ghezzi||United States||1941||76||79||155||+15|
|Denny Shute||United States||1936, 1937||78||80||158||+18|
Thursday, July 21, 1960
|1||Arnold Palmer||United States||67||−3|
|2||Sam Snead||United States||68||−2|
|T3||Fred Haas||United States||69||−1|
|Paul Harney||United States|
|T5||Don Fairfield||United States||70||E|
|Don January||United States|
|Doug Sanders||United States|
|T8||George Bayer||United States||71||+1|
|Al Besselink||United States|
|Bill Collins||United States|
|Jim Ferree||United States|
|Jim Ferrier|| Australia
|Ed Griffiths||United States|
|Bob Harris||United States|
|John O'Donnell||United States|
|Ernie Vossler||United States|
|Don Whitt||United States|
Friday, July 22, 1960
|1||Jay Hebert||United States||72-67=139||−1|
|2||Don January||United States||70-70=140||E|
|T3||Arnold Palmer||United States||67-74=141||+1|
|Doug Sanders||United States||70-71=141|
|Sam Snead||United States||68-73=141|
|T6||Fred Hawkins||United States||73-69=142||+2|
|John O'Donnell||United States||71-71=142|
|Ken Venturi||United States||70-72=142|
|9||Mason Rudolph||United States||72-71=143||+3|
|T10||George Bayer||United States||71-73=144||+4|
|Tommy Bolt||United States||72-72=144|
|Wes Ellis||United States||72-72=144|
|Ted Kroll||United States||73-71=144|
|Gene Littler||United States||74-70=144|
Saturday, July 23, 1960
|1||Doug Sanders||United States||70-71-69=210||E|
|T3||Jim Ferrier|| Australia
|Jay Hebert||United States||72-67-72=211|
|Sam Snead||United States||68-73-70=211|
|5||Don January||United States||70-70-72=212||+2|
|T6||Doug Ford||United States||75-70-69=214||+4|
|Fred Hawkins||United States||73-69-72=214|
|T8||Dow Finsterwald||United States||73-73-69=215||+5|
|Dave Marr||United States||75-71-69=215|
|Ken Venturi||United States||70-72-73=215|
Sunday, July 24, 1960
|Place||Player||Country||Score||To par||Money ($)|
|1||Jay Hebert||United States||72-67-72-70=281||+1||11,000|
|2||Jim Ferrier|| Australia
|T3||Doug Sanders||United States||70-71-69-73=283||+3||3,350|
|Sam Snead||United States||68-73-70-72=283|
|5||Don January||United States||70-70-72-72=284||+4||2,800|
|6||Wes Ellis||United States||72-72-72-69=285||+5||2,500|
|T7||Doug Ford||United States||75-70-69-72=286||+6||2,125|
|Arnold Palmer||United States||67-74-75-70=286|
|9||Ken Venturi||United States||70-72-73-72=287||+7||1,900|
|T10||Fred Hawkins||United States||73-69-72-74=288||+8||1,750|
|Dave Marr||United States||75-71-69-73=288|
- Gundelfinger, Phil (July 25, 1960). "Jay Hebert rallies to win PGA with 281". Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. pp. 20, 23.
- "Tournament Info for: 1960 PGA Championship". PGA.com. Retrieved December 29, 2012.
- "Hebert's birdies win PGA". Spokesman-Review. (Spokane, Washington). Associated Press. July 25, 1960. p. 10.
- Wright, Alfred (August 1, 1960). "Mr. 'A-Bear' Makes It". Sports Illustrated. p. 12.
- "Jay Hebert wins PGA Championship". Montreal Gazette. Associated Press. July 25, 1960. p. 17.
- "Sanders fires 67 (69) for lead in PGA as Palmer falters". Eugene Register-Guard. Oregon. Associated Press. July 24, 1960. p. 1B.
- Gundelfinger, Phil (July 22, 1960). "Palmer's sizzling 67 leads way in PGA". Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. p. 18.
- "Palmer grabs PGA lead". Spokesman-Review. (Spokane, Washington). Associated Press. July 22, 1960. p. 18.
- "Palmer gets off to superb start in PGA tourney". Reading Eagle. (Pennsylvania). Associated Press. July 22, 1960. p. 14.
- "First round PGA scores". Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. July 22, 1960. p. 19.
- Gundelfinger, Phil (July 23, 1960). "Jay Hebert fires 67, leads PGA". Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. p. 13.
- "Second round PGA scores". Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. July 23, 1960. p. 20.
- Gundelfinger, Phil (July 24, 1960). "Sanders leads PGA with 210". Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. p. 1, section 2.
- "Third round PGA scores". Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. July 24, 1960. p. 1, section 2.
1960 Open Championship
|Major Championships||Succeeded by