1960 Stanley Cup Finals
The 1960 Stanley Cup Final was contested by the defending champion Montreal Canadiens, appearing in their tenth consecutive Final series and the Toronto Maple Leafs. This was a rematch of the 1959 Final. The Canadiens won the series four games to none for their fifth straight Cup victory, which stands as an NHL record.
Paths to the Final
After the series Rocket Richard retired. He went out with style, finishing with his 34th final-series goal in the third game.
Toronto Maple Leafs vs. Montreal Canadiens
|April 7||Toronto Maple Leafs||2||Montreal Canadiens||4|
|April 9||Toronto Maple Leafs||1||Montreal Canadiens||2|
|April 12||Montreal Canadiens||5||Toronto Maple Leafs||2|
|April 14||Montreal Canadiens||4||Toronto Maple Leafs||0|
Montreal wins best-of-seven series 4 games to 0
Montreal Canadiens 1960 Stanley Cup champions
- Coaching and administrative staff
- Hartland Molson (President/Owner)
- Frank Selke Sr. (Manager), Ken Reardon (Vice President)
- Sam Pollock (Personnel Director), Hector Toe Blake (Coach)
- Hector Dubois (Trainer)
- Larry Aubut (Asst. Trainer)
- Camile DesRoches^, Frank Selke Jr.^ (Publicity Directors)
- ^- on the team picture, but missing from the Stanley Cup.
Stanley Cup engraving
- Camile DesRoches, Frank Selke Jr. (Publicity Directors) are part of all 6 team winning pictures 1953, 1956, 1957, 1958 1959, 1960 However, their names do not appear on the Stanley Cup.
- Dickie Moore won 6 Stanley Cups. His name was spelled differently 5 times. 1953, 1957 as Dickie MOORE, 1956 D MOORE, 1958 R MOORE, 1959 RICHARD MOORE, 1960 RICH MOORE. On the Replica Cup, Moore's name appears as DICKIE MOORE in 1953, 1957, 1959, 1960, D. MOORE in 1956, and R. Moore in 1958.
- Jacques Plante won 6 Stanley Cups. His name was spelled differently 4 times. 1953, 1957, 1960 Jacques Plante, 1956 J Plante, 1958 Jac Plante, 1959 Jacq Plante. On the Replica Cup Plante's name appears as JACQUES PLANTE in 1953, 1957, 1958, 1959, 1960, and J. PLANTE in 1956.
- In 1959 Montreal Canadiens engraved 29 names on the Stanley Cup, only 27 were engraved on the Stanley Cup in 1960. Every person engraved on the cup 1960 was included on the cup with Montreal in 1959. The only changes in the lineup where with Ian Cushnan and Ken Mosdell were no longer with the team, but were playing in the minors. The only other time in Stanley Cup history, that one member engraved on the Cup was not a first time winner was in 1972.
Members of Montreal Canadiens 5 Straight Dynasty 1956 to 1960
Jean Beliveau, Bernie Geoffrion*, Doug Harvey*, Tom Johnson*, Don Marshall, Dickie Moore*, Jacques Plante*, Claude Provost, Henri Richard, Maurice Richard* Jean-Guy Talbot, Bob Turner (12 players), Frank Selke Sr*., Ken Reardon, Toe Blake, Hector Dubois* (4 non-players).
- *-also won the Stanley Cup in 1953.
- Podnieks, Andrew; Hockey Hall of Fame (2004). Lord Stanley's Cup. Bolton, Ont.: Fenn Pub. pp 12, 50. ISBN 978-1-55168-261-7
Stanley Cup Champions
Chicago Black Hawks