1961 Modena Grand Prix
|Non-championship race in the 1961 Formula One season|
|Date||3 September 1961|
|Official name||XV Gran Premio di Modena|
|Location||Modena Autodrome, Modena|
|Course||Permanent racing facility|
|Course length||2.366 km (1.4702 mi)|
|Distance||100 laps, 236.61 km (147.02 mi)|
The 15th Modena Grand Prix was a motor race, run to Formula One rules, held on 3 September 1961 at Modena Autodrome, Italy. The race was run over 100 laps of the circuit, and was dominated by British driver Stirling Moss in a Lotus 18/21.
The qualifying system for this event was very unusual in that despite over 30 entrants, the starting grid was restricted to only 14 cars. Furthermore, the fastest three Italian drivers in practice would be guaranteed to start the race, regardless of how many other drivers were faster. This resulted in Innes Ireland failing to qualify despite being 13th fastest, and faster than Giorgio Scarlatti who did qualify.
Moss took pole position, fastest lap and the win, finishing a few seconds ahead of the Porsche pairing of Jo Bonnier and Dan Gurney. Gurney led at the start, but Moss passed him on lap 11 and stayed in front.
- Scarlatti and Starrabba used the same car.
- Scuderia Centro Sud entered a Cooper-Maserati, given #6, but withdrew the entry.
- "The Formula One Record Book", John Thompson, 1974, pp.48-49
- "The Grand Prix Who's Who", Steve Small, 1995.
- "The Formula One Record Book", John Thompson, 1974.
- Race results at www.silhouet.com 
1961 Danish Grand Prix
|Formula One non-championship races
1960 Modena Grand Prix
|Modena Grand Prix||Next race: