1961 in India
Jump to navigation Jump to search
This article needs additional citations for verification. (August 2014) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
List of years in India|
Timeline of Indian history
Events in the year 1961 in the Republic of India.
- President of India – Rajendra Prasad
- Prime Minister of India – Jawaharlal Nehru
- Chief Justice of India – Bhuvaneshwar Prasad Sinha
- 21 January - Queen Elizabeth II start of Royal visit
- 12 July - Panshet Dam bursts in Pune causing a massive flood in the city of Pune. Over 1,000 people die.
- 1 November – The Hungry generation movement is launched in Calcutta.
- 17 December – India occupies Goa.
- 18 December – India occupies Portuguese colonies of Goa, Damao and Diu
- 19 December – Goa is officially ceded to India after 400 years of Portuguese rule.
- The Tenth and Eleventh Amendments of the Constitution of India (1961)
- Anti dowry Act (1961)
- 7 January – Supriya Pathak, actress.
- 12 June – Jagadish, actor.
- 6 July – Vandana Chavan, politician and lawyer
Full date unknown
- V. M. Girija, poet.
This section is empty. You can help by adding to it. (September 2010)
|This Indian history-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|