1961 in India
Jump to navigation Jump to search
This article needs additional citations for verification. (August 2014) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|See also:||List of years in India|
Timeline of Indian history
Events in the year 1961 in the Republic of India.
- President of India – Rajendra Prasad
- Prime Minister of India – Jawaharlal Nehru
- Vice President of India - Sarvepalli Radhakrishnan
- Chief Justice of India – Bhuvaneshwar Prasad Sinha
- 21 January - Queen Elizabeth II start of Royal visit
- 12 July - Panshet Dam bursts in Pune causing a massive flood in the city of Pune. Over 1,000 people die.
- 1 November – The Hungry generation movement is launched in Calcutta.
- 17 December – India occupies Goa.
- 18 December – India occupies Portuguese colonies of Goa, Damao and Diu
- 19 December – Goa is officially ceded to India after 400 years of Portuguese rule.
- The Tenth and Eleventh Amendments of the Constitution of India (1961)
- Anti dowry Act (1961)
- 7 January – Supriya Pathak, actress.
- 12 June – Jagadish, actor.
- 6 July – Vandana Chavan, politician and lawyer
Full date unknown
- V. M. Girija, poet.
This section is empty. You can help by adding to it. (September 2010)
|This Indian history-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|