1962 FA Charity Shield
|Date||11 August 1962|
|Venue||Portman Road, Ipswich|
|Referee||Ken Dagnall (Bolton)|
The 1962 FA Charity Shield was the 40th FA Charity Shield, an annual football match played between the winners of the previous season's Football League and FA Cup competitions. The match took place on 11 August 1962 at Portman Road in Ipswich, and played between 1961–62 Football League champions Ipswich Town and FA Cup winners Tottenham Hotspur. It ended in a 5–1 victory for Tottenham Hotspur.
Ipswich had won the league in the previous season, three points clear of Burnley and losing just twice at home at Portman Road throughout the season. Despite being promoted from the second division the previous season, they went on to win back-to-back league titles. Tottenham Hotspur had beaten Burnley 3–1 at Wembley in the FA Cup final three months earlier.
Ipswich had never featured in a Charity Shield match in their history. Tottenham Hotspur had appeared four times, the most recent visit being in the previous year where they defeated a Football Association representative XI 3–2. Ipswich went on to play in the 1978 FA Charity Shield, a game in which they also conceded five goals, that time against league champions Nottingham Forest. As of 2011, Ipswich Town have not played in a Charity Shield match since 1978, while Tottenham Hotspur have competed for the title four times, losing once and sharing the trophy three times.
|Ipswich Town||1–5||Tottenham Hotspur|
|Stephenson 84'||Greaves 37', 58'
- "Ipswich Town (0) 1–5 (2) Tottenham Hotspur". Pride of Anglia. Retrieved 22 June 2011.
- "English Charity Shield 1962–1963 : Results". Statto.com. Retrieved 15 June 2011.
- "Ipswich Town 1961–1962 : Home". Statto.com. Retrieved 15 June 2011.
- "Ipswich Town 1960–1961 : Home". Statto.com. Retrieved 15 June 2011.
- "Wembley's finest moments". The Daily Telegraph. 7 October 2000. Retrieved 15 June 2011.
- "England – List of FA Charity/Community Shield Matches". Rec.Sport.Soccer Statistics Foundation. 17 September 2010. Retrieved 15 June 2011.
- "Ipswich Town 1962–1963 : Home". Statto.com. Retrieved 15 June 2011.
- "English FA Cup 1962–1963 : Third Round". Statto.com. Archived from the original on 2010-01-10. Retrieved 15 June 2011.
- "English FA Cup 1962–1963 : Fourth Round". Statto.com. Archived from the original on 2012-03-02. Retrieved 15 June 2011.