1963 Mexican Grand Prix
|1963 Mexican Grand Prix|
|Date||October 27, 1963|
|Official name||II Gran Premio de Mexico|
|Location||Magdalena Mixhuca, Mexico City|
|Course||Permanent racing facility|
|Course length||5.000 km (3.107 mi)|
|Distance||65 laps, 325.000 km (201.946 mi)|
The 1963 Mexican Grand Prix was a Formula One motor race held at the Ciudad Deportiva Magdalena Mixhuca in Mexico City on October 27, 1963. It was race 9 of 10 in both the 1963 World Championship of Drivers and the 1963 International Cup for Formula One Manufacturers.
Jim Clark dominated the race from pole position, a time that was 1.7 seconds faster than anybody else. Mexico was considered one of his most successful venues. His fastest lap of the race eclipsed his pole time by 0.7 seconds, and he lapped the entire field except for second and third behind him. He would eventually score a total of five pole positions, four fastest laps and three victories at the venue in his Formula One career. This was also his sixth win, his sixth fastest lap, and his sixth pole position of the nine races completed in 1963.
|2||5||Jack Brabham||Brabham-Climax||65||+ 1:41.1||10||6|
|3||2||Richie Ginther||BRM||65||+ 1:54.7||5||4|
|4||1||Graham Hill||BRM||64||+ 1 lap||3||3|
|5||11||Jo Bonnier||Cooper-Climax||62||+ 3 laps||8||2|
|6||6||Dan Gurney||Brabham-Climax||62||+ 3 laps||4||1|
|7||22||Hap Sharp||Lotus-BRM||61||+ 4 laps||16|
|8||16||Jim Hall||Lotus-BRM||61||+ 4 laps||15|
|9||14||Jo Siffert||Lotus-BRM||59||+ 6 laps||9|
|10||12||Carel Godin de Beaufort||Porsche||58||+ 7 laps||18|
|DSQ||23||John Surtees||Ferrari||19||Push start||2|
|DNQ||20||Frank Dochnal||Cooper-Climax||Practice accident|
|WD||15||Innes Ireland||Lotus-BRM||Driver injured|
- Surtees was disqualified for a push-start.
Championship standings after the race
- Notes: Only the top five positions are included for both sets of standings. Only the best 6 results counted towards the Championship. Numbers without parentheses are Championship points; numbers in parentheses are total points scored.
- Kettlewell, Mike. "Grand Prix Racing South of the Border", in Ward, Ian, executive editor. World of Automobiles (London: Orbis, 1974) Volume 12, p.1331.
- "Your questions: F1 and the number 13". F1 Fanatic. Retrieved 20 September 2015.
- "1963 Mexican Grand Prix". formula1.com. Archived from the original on 24 August 2014. Retrieved 20 September 2015.
- "Mexico 1963 - Championship • STATS F1". www.statsf1.com. Retrieved 19 March 2019.
1963 United States Grand Prix
|FIA Formula One World Championship
1963 South African Grand Prix
1962 Mexican Grand Prix
|Mexican Grand Prix||Next race:|
1964 Mexican Grand Prix