1963 Oregon Webfoots football team
|1963 Oregon Webfoots football|
Sun Bowl champion
|Head coach||Len Casanova (13th year)|
|Home stadium||Hayward Field
|1963 NCAA University Division independents football records|
|San Jose State||–||5||–||5||–||0|
|West Texas State||–||4||–||4||–||1|
|New Mexico State||–||3||–||6||–||1|
|Rankings from AP Poll|
The 1963 Oregon Webfoots represented the University of Oregon in the 1963 college football season. The Webfoots were an independent and scored 274 points and allowed 153 points. Led by thirteenth-year head coach Len Casanova, the Ducks were 7–3 in the regular season and won the Sun Bowl over SMU.
Notable players included Mel Renfro, Dave Wilcox, and Bob Berry, all selected in the 1964 NFL Draft. Berry was a redshirt junior and played another season for Oregon in 1964. Renfro and Wilcox are members of the Pro Football Hall of Fame.
Following the disbandment of the Pacific Coast Conference, both Oregon and Oregon State were independent in football for five seasons, from 1959 through 1963. Both joined the AAWU (Pac-8) for the 1964 season.
|September 21||8:00 pm||Penn State||Multnomah Stadium • Portland, OR ||L 7–17||30,355|
|September 28||1:30 pm||at Stanford||Stanford Stadium • Stanford, CA||W 36–7||31,000|
|October 5||11:30 am||at West Virginia||Mountaineer Field • Morgantown, WV ||W 35–0||24,000|
|October 12||1:30 pm||Idaho||Hayward Field • Eugene, OR ||W 41–21||19,200|
|October 19||1:30 pm||at Arizona||Arizona Stadium • Tucson, AZ||W 28–12||16,000|
|October 26||2:00 pm||Washington||Multnomah Stadium • Portland, OR  (rivalry)||L 19–26||35,690|
|November 2||1:30 pm||San Jose State||Hayward Field • Eugene, OR ||L 7–13||14,000|
|November 9||1:30 pm||at Washington State||Rogers Field • Pullman, WA ||W 21–7||13,000|
|November 16||1:30 pm||Indiana||Multnomah Stadium • Portland, OR ||W 28–22||19,051|
|November 30||1:30 pm||Oregon State||Hayward Field • Eugene, OR  (Civil War)||W 31–14||20,700|
|December 31||1:00 pm||vs. SMU||Sun Bowl • El Paso, TX  (Sun Bowl)||W 21–14||26,500|
|Homecoming. All times are in Pacific Time.|
Team players in the NFL
The following Oregon players were selected in the 1964 NFL Draft.
|Mel Renfro||Defensive Back||2||17||Dallas Cowboys|
|Dave Wilcox||Linebacker||3||29||San Francisco 49ers|
|Bob Berry||Quarterback||11||142||Philadelphia Eagles|
|H.D. Murphy||Halfback||19||256||Dallas Cowboys|
- Uhrhammer, Jerry (January 1, 1964). "Berry leads Oregon to 21-14 Sun Bowl win". Eugene Register-Guard. (Oregon). p. 1B.
- "Four Webfoots drafted by NFL". Eugene Register-Guard. (Oregon). AP, UPI reports. December 3, 1963. p. 1B.
- Uhrhammer, Jerry (September 22, 1963). "Penn State outpunches Oregon in opener, 17-7". Eugene Register-Guard. (Oregon). p. 1B.
- "Ducks dump Mountaineers". Spokesman-Review. (Spokane, Washington). Associated Press. October 6, 1963. p. 4, sports.
- Leutzinger, Dick (October 13, 1963). "Renfro leads Oregon to win". Eugene Register-Guard. (Oregon). p. 1B.
- Uhrhammer, Jerry (September 22, 1963). "Game almost had a storybook climax". Eugene Register-Guard. (Oregon). p. 3B.
- Leutzinger, Dick (November 3, 1963). "Helpless Ducks fall, 13-7". Eugene Register-Guard. (Oregon). p. 1B.
- Leutzinger, Dick (November 10, 1963). "Oregon rebounds against WSU to win, 21-7". Eugene Register-Guard. (Oregon). p. 1B.
- Uhrhammer, Jerry (November 17, 1963). "Murphy's catch brings Oregon 28-22 win". Eugene Register-Guard. (Oregon). p. 1B.
- "31-14". Eugene Register=Guard. (Oregon). December 1, 1963. p. 1B.
- "Events postponed, cancelled". Eugene Register-Guard. (Oregon). Associated Press. November 23, 1963. p. 1B.
- Missildine, Harry (November 24, 1963). "Big Six presidents commended for action". Spokesman-Review. (Spokane, Washington). p. 1, sports.