1964 in India
|This article does not cite any sources. (December 2009) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|See also:||List of years in India
Timeline of Indian history
Events in the year 1964 in the Republic of India.
- President of India – Sarvepalli Radhakrishnan
- Prime Minister of India – Jawaharlal Nehru until 27 May, Gulzarilal Nanda until 9 June (acting Prime Minister), Lal Bahadur Shastri
- Chief Justice of India – Bhuvaneshwar Prasad Sinha until 31 January, P. B. Gajendragadkar
- 27 May – Prime Minister Jawaharlal Nehru dies after a five-month illness; he is succeeded by Lal Bahadur Shastri.
- The Vishva Hindu Parishad is founded.
- Hazratbal disappearance episode
- The Seventeenth Amendment of the Constitution of India
Arts and literature
- 2 September – Indian Hungry generation poets arrested on charges of conspiracy against the State and Obscenity in literature.
- National Film Archive of India established in Pune.
- 16 February - Shrirang Barne, Politician, Member of Parliament from Maval constituency
- 1 June – Rashid Patel, cricketer (Indian pace bowler, Lamba incident).
- 13 August – Harisree Ashokan, actor.
- 10 December – Jayaram, actor.
Full date unknown
- Bem Le Hunte, author.
- 27 May – Jawaharlal Nehru, politician and 1st Prime Minister of India (b. 1889).
- 2 October – Rajkumari Amrit Kaur, freedom fighter, social activist and Health Minister (b. 1889).
- 10 October – Guru Dutt, film director, producer, and actor (b. 1925).