1965 Illinois Fighting Illini football team
|1965 Illinois Fighting Illini football|
|Conference||Big Ten Conference|
|1965 record||6–4 (4–3 Big Ten)|
|Head coach||Pete Elliott (6th year)|
|Captain||Jim Grabowski, Don Hansen|
|Home stadium||Memorial Stadium
|1965 Big Ten football standings|
|#2 Michigan State $||7||–||0||–||0||10||–||1||–||0|
The 1965 Illinois Fighting Illini football team represented the University of Illinois in the 1965 Big Ten Conference football season. In their sixth season under head coach Pete Elliott, the Illini compiled a 6–4 (4–3 against Big Ten Conference opponents), outscored opponents 235 to 118, and finished fifth in the Big Ten. Fullback Jim Grabowski was selected as the team's most valuable player, received the team's most valuable player award, and was a consensus pick for the 1965 College Football All-America Team.
|September 18||Oregon State*||Memorial Stadium • Champaign, IL||L 10–12||34,000|
|September 25||SMU*||Memorial Stadium • Champaign, IL||W 42–0||45,175|
|October 2||at No. 9 Michigan State||Spartan Stadium • East Lansing, MI||L 12–22||71,237|
|October 9||at Ohio State||Ohio Stadium • Columbus, OH||L 14–28||83,712|
|October 16||Indiana||Memorial Stadium • Champaign, IL||W 34–13||61,257|
|October 23||Duke*||Memorial Stadium • Champaign, IL||W 28–14||47,077|
|October 30||No. 6 Purdue||Memorial Stadium • Champaign, IL||W 21–0||59,507|
|November 6||Michigan||Memorial Stadium • Champaign, IL||L 3–23||50,136|
|November 13||at Wisconsin||Camp Randall Stadium • Madison, WI||W 51–0||55,192|
|November 20||at Northwestern||Dyche Stadium • Evanston, IL||W 20–6||41,348|
|*Non-conference game. Homecoming. #Rankings from AP Poll.|
Awards and honors
Team players in the NFL
|Jim Grabowski||1||9||Running Back||Green Bay Packers|
|Don Hansen||3||42||Linebacker||Minnesota Vikings|
|Ron Acks||4||57||Defensive End||Minnesota Vikings|
|Sam Price||16||240||Defensive End||New York Giants|
|Gary Eickman||17||254||Defensive End||New York Giants|
|Kai Anderson||18||268||Defensive End||New York Giants|
|Dale Greco||18||270||Defensive Tackle||Minnesota Vikings|
- Jim Grabowski was also the first pick overall in the 1966 American Football League Draft. He was the first ever draft pick of the Miami Dolphins.
- "1965 Illinois Schedule and Results". SR/College Football. Sports Reference LLC. Retrieved December 16, 2015.
- "Fighting Illini Football Record Book" (PDF). University of Illinois. 2015. p. 155. Retrieved December 29, 2016.
- "2014 NCAA Football Records: Consensus All-America Selections" (PDF). National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA). 2014. p. 7. Retrieved February 10, 2015.
- "All Time Scores". University of Illinois Division of Intercollegiate Athletics. Retrieved July 24, 2012.