1965 in India
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
|This article does not cite any sources. (December 2009) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|See also:||List of years in India
Timeline of Indian history
Events in the year 1965 in the Republic of India.
January to June
- 26 January – Hindi becomes the official language of India.
- 26 January – Anti-Hindi agitations break out in India because of which Hindi does not get "National Language" status and remains one of the 23 Official Languages of India.
- 24 February – English is adopted as an associate language in dealings between the Central government and the non Hindi speaking states.
- 20 March – First fighting in the Indo-Pakistani War of 1965 between West Pakistan and India only.
- 29 May – 1965 Dhanbad coal mine disaster – A mining accident in Dhanbad, India kills 274.
July to December
- 5 August – War begins between India and Pakistan.
- 2 September – Kashmir is declared an "Integral Part of India" and is not a "disputed territory", later responded by the Pakistani troops entering the Indian sector of Kashmir.
- 6 September – Indian troops invade Lahore.
- 6 September – 22 September – A full-scale Indo-Pakistani war is fought over Kashmir, which ends after a UN Security Council calls for a ceasefire on 20 September.
- 8 September – India opens two additional fronts against Pakistan.
- 9 September – U.N. Secretary General U Thant negotiates with Pakistan President Ayub Khan.
- 16 September – China protests against Indian provocations in its border region.
- 18 September – Soviet Premier Alexei Kosygin invites the leaders of India and Pakistan to meet in the Soviet Union to negotiate.
- 22 September – Radio Peking announces that Indian troops have dismantled their equipment on the Chinese side of the border.
- 24 September – Fighting resumes between Indian and Pakistani troops.
- 1 December – The Border Security Force is formed as a special force to guard the borders.
Full date unknown
- Femina Miss India held for the first time.
- 14 March – Aamir Khan, actor and film producer.
- 23 April – Jamling Tenzing Norgay, mountain climber.
- 2 July – Krishna Bhagavaan, actor.
- 2 September – Partho Sen-Gupta, independent film director and script writer.
- 1 November – Padmini Kolhapure, actress.
- 2 November – Shahrukh Khan, actor, film producer and television host.
- 30 November – Tashi Tenzing, mountain climber.
- 25 December – Baba Ramdev, Yogguru.
- 27 December – Salman Khan, actor.
Full date unknown
- 21 January – Geeta Bali, actress (b. 1930).
- 3 March – Amirbai Karnataki, actress and singer (b. c1906).