1965 in India
Jump to navigation Jump to search
This article does not cite any sources. (December 2009) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
List of years in India|
Timeline of Indian history
Events in the year 1965 in the Republic of India.
- President of India – Sarvepalli Radhakrishnan
- Prime Minister of India – Lal Bahadur Shastri
- Chief Justice of India – P. B. Gajendragadkar
January to June
- 26 January – Hindi becomes the official language of India.
- 26 January – Anti-Hindi agitations break out in India because of which Hindi does not get "National Language" status and remains one of the 23 Official Languages of India.
- 24 February – English is adopted as an associate language in dealings between the Central government and the non Hindi speaking states.
- 20 March – First fighting in the Indo-Pakistani War of 1965 between West Pakistan and India only.
- 29 May – 1965 Dhanbad coal mine disaster – A mining accident in Dhanbad, India kills 274.
July to December
- 5 August – War begins between India and Pakistan.
- 2 September – Kashmir is declared an "Integral Part of India" and is not a "disputed territory", later responded by the Pakistani troops entering the Indian sector of Kashmir.
- 6 September – Indian troops attempt to invade Lahore.
- 6 September – 22 September – A full-scale Indo-Pakistani war is fought over Kashmir, which ends after a UN Security Council calls for a ceasefire on 20 September.
- 8 September – India opens two additional fronts against Pakistan.
- 9 September – U.N. Secretary General U Thant negotiates with Pakistan President Ayub Khan.
- 16 September – China protests against Indian provocations in its border region.
- 18 September – Soviet Premier Alexei Kosygin invites the leaders of India and Pakistan to meet in the Soviet Union to negotiate.
- 22 September – Radio Peking announces that Indian troops have dismantled their equipment on the Chinese side of the border.
- 24 September – Fighting resumes between Indian and Pakistani troops.
- 1 December – The Border Security Force is formed as a special force to guard the borders.
Full date unknown
- Femina Miss India held for the first time.
- 14 March – Aamir Khan, actor and film producer.
- 23 April – Jamling Tenzing Norgay, mountain climber.
- 2 July – Krishna Bhagavaan, actor.
- 2 September – Partho Sen-Gupta, independent film director and script writer.
- 27 September - Sudha Chandran, dancer, actress.
- 1 November – Padmini Kolhapure, actress.
- 2 November – Shahrukh Khan, actor, film producer and television host.
- 30 November – Tashi Tenzing, mountain climber.
- 25 December – Baba Ramdev, Yogguru.
- 27 December – Salman Khan, actor.
Full date unknown
- 21 January – Geeta Bali, actress (b. 1930).
- 3 March – Amirbai Karnataki, actress and singer (b. c1906).