1966 European Athletics Championships
|8th European Athletics Championships|
|Host city||Budapest, Hungary|
|Date(s)||30 August – 4 September 1966|
769 athletes from |
The 8th European Athletics Championships were held from 30 August to 4 September 1966 in the Nép Stadium in Budapest, Hungary. Contemporaneous reports on the event were given in the Glasgow Herald.
A new IAAF ruling was applied for the first time making gender verification for female events mandatory. As a consequence, all women competitors were forced to have a sex check. Several of the greatest women athletes missed this year's championships, among them world record holders Iolanda Balaș (high jump) from Romania, as well as Tamara Press (shot put) and Tatyana Shchelkanova (long jump), both from the Soviet Union.
Complete results were published.
- nb1 The women's 100 metres gold medallist Ewa Kłobukowska equalled the championship record twice in qualifying, running 11.4 seconds.
|1||East Germany (GDR)||8||3||6||17|
|3||Soviet Union (URS)||5||7||7||19|
|5||West Germany (FRG)||3||10||9||22|
|7||Great Britain (GBR)||2||0||0||2|
|Totals (14 nations)||36||36||36||108|
According to an unofficial count, 770 athletes from 29 countries participated in the event, one athletes more than the official number of 769 and one country less than the official number of 30 as published.
- Athletics - Top Athletes Miss European Games - Objections to Medical Test?, Glasgow Herald, August 30, 1966, p. 6, retrieved September 3, 2014
- Athletics - Start of European Championships - East Germans Gain First Two Gold Medals, Glasgow Herald, August 31, 1966, p. 6, retrieved September 3, 2014
- Athletics - European Gold Medal for Davies - Britain's First Success, Glasgow Herald, September 1, 1966, p. 4, retrieved September 3, 2014
- Athletics - Tummler Beats Jazy in 1500 Metres - W. German's Tactical Race, Glasgow Herald, September 2, 1966, p. 6, retrieved September 3, 2014
- Athletics - Another Gold Medal for East Germans - Nordwig's Pole Vault Record, Glasgow Herald, September 3, 1966, p. 4, retrieved September 3, 2014
- Athletics - Hogan Triumphs in Marathon - Irishman Gains Britain's Second Gold Medal, Glasgow Herald, September 1966, p. 5, retrieved September 3, 2014
- European Athletics Championships Zürich 2014 - STATISTICS HANDBOOK (PDF), European Athletics Association, pp. 397–405, retrieved 13 August 2014
- European Athletics Championships Zürich 2014 - STATISTICS HANDBOOK (PDF), European Athletics Association, p. 4, retrieved 13 August 2014
- "European Championships (Men)". gbrathletics.com. 2007. Archived from the original on 2 September 2010. Retrieved 21 August 2010.
- "European Championships (Women)". gbrathletics.com. 2007. Archived from the original on 22 September 2010. Retrieved 21 August 2010.