1966 in India
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
|See also:||List of years in India
Timeline of Indian history
Events in the year 1966 in the Republic of India.
|President of India||Sarvepalli Radhakrishnan|
|Prime Minister of India||Lal Bahadur Shastri
until 24 January (acting Prime Minister)
- 3 January - Prime Minister of India Lal Bahadur Shastri and President of Pakistan Ayub Khan agree to the Tashkent Declaration, a peace pact mediated by the Soviet Premier Alexei Kosygin in Tashkent, Uzbek S.S.R.
- 11 January - Prime Minister Shastri dies of heart attack in Tashkent.
- 19 January - Supported by provincial Congress chief ministers, Indira Gandhi becomes prime minister.
- 28 March - Indira Gandhi visits Washington, D.C..
- 19 June: Shiv Sena founded by Bal Thackeray.
- 12 July - Indira Gandhi visits Moscow.
- 27 August - Eighteenth Amendment of the Constitution of India takes effect.
- 17 November - Reita Faria, Femina Miss India is crowned Miss World 1966, the first Indian to win the title.
- 11 December - Nineteenth Amendment of the Constitution of India takes effect.
- 22 December - Twentieth Amendment of the Constitution of India takes effect.
- 29 December - Enactment of Seeds Act, creating central administration to oversee and certify seeds.
- 11 January - Sunil Kumar Mahato, politician, assassinated (d.2007).
- 3 May - Firdous Bamji, actor.
- 14 July - Sachin Puthran, entrepreneur.
- 28 August - Priya Dutt, politician.
- September - Faisal Khan, actor.
- 5 December - Dayanidhi Maran, politician.
Full date unknown
- Raj Kamal Jha, novelist and journalist.
- 11 January - Lal Bahadur Shastri, politician and 2nd Prime Minister of India (b. 1904).
- 21 January - Dr. Manubhai P. Vaidya, Educationist and recipient of Best Teacher Award from Dr. S. Radhakrishnan, The President of India (b. 1905).
- Devarakonda Balagangadhara Tilak, poet, novelist and short story writer (b. 1921).
- Anton Vereshchagin, "Lal Bahadur Shastri’s death in Tashkent still raises questions" ([www.webcitation.org/6WmcYM836 archived]), Russia & India Report, 2 October 2013.
- R. C. Bhardwaj, Constitution Amendment in India; New Delhi: Lok Sabha Secretariat, January 1995; pp. 37–39.
- N. T. Krishna Kishore, "Enhancement of Production by Development of Resources in Critical Production Operations in Multi Crop Seed Conditioning Unit"; International Journal of Scientific and Research Publications 2.3, March, 2012.