1968 New York Giants season
|1968 New York Giants season|
|Head coach||Allie Sherman|
|Home field||Yankee Stadium|
|Division place||2nd NFL Capitol|
|Playoff finish||did not qualify|
The 1968 New York Giants season was the 44th season for the club in the National Football League. For the 1968 season, the Giants traded divisions with the New Orleans Saints, with the Giants moving from the Century Division to the Capitol Division. The Giants finished with a 7–7 record, which placed them second in the Capitol Division, five games behind the Dallas Cowboys.
The Giants did not have a first-round selection in the 1968 NFL Draft; their first pick was Rich Buzin, taken in the second round with the 41st overall pick. New York began the season with a four-game winning streak. After a four-game stretch in which they had three losses, the Giants went to Dallas and posted an upset victory, 27–21. With that win and a victory against the Philadelphia Eagles the following week, the Giants moved into contention for a Capitol Division championship. However, they lost the final four games of the season. The 1968 regular season was Allie Sherman's last as head coach of the Giants; he was fired after the preseason in 1969.
|1968 New York Giants roster|
|1||September 15, 1968||at Pittsburgh Steelers||W 34–20||
|2||September 22, 1968||at Philadelphia Eagles||W 34–25||
|3||September 29, 1968||Washington Redskins||W 48–21||
|4||October 6, 1968||New Orleans Saints||W 38–21||
|5||October 15, 1968||at Atlanta Falcons||L 24–21||
|6||October 20, 1968||San Francisco 49ers||L 26–10||
|7||October 27, 1968||at Washington Redskins||W 13–10||
|8||November 3, 1968||Baltimore Colts||L 26–0||
|9||November 10, 1968||at Dallas Cowboys||W 27–21||
|10||November 17, 1968||Philadelphia Eagles||W 7–6||
|11||November 24, 1968||at Los Angeles Rams||L 24–21||
|12||December 1, 1968||at Cleveland Browns||L 45–10||
|13||December 8, 1968||St. Louis Cardinals||L 28–21||
|14||December 15, 1968||Dallas Cowboys||L 28–10||
|New York Giants||7||7||0||.500||5–1||7–3||294||325||L4|
Note: Tie games were not officially counted in the standings until 1972.
- Henkel, Frank M. (2005). Cleveland Browns History. Arcadia Publishing. p. 50. ISBN 978-0-7385-3428-2.
- "1968 New York Giants". Pro Football Reference. Archived from the original on 29 April 2009. Retrieved May 5, 2009.
- "1968 NFL Standings, Team & Offensive Statistics". Pro Football Reference. Archived from the original on 20 April 2009. Retrieved May 5, 2009.
- "1968 NFL/AFL Draft". Pro Football Reference. Retrieved October 1, 2011.
- Whittingham, Richard (2005). Illustrated History of the New York Giants. Chicago: Triumph Books. pp. 150–151. ISBN 1-57243-641-7.
|This article relating to a New York Giants season is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|