1968 Wimbledon Championships
|1968 Wimbledon Championships|
|Date||24 June – 6 July|
|Category||Grand Slam (ITF)|
|Draw||128S / 64D / 128MX|
London, United Kingdom
|Rod Laver |
|Billie Jean King |
|John Newcombe / Tony Roche |
|Billie Jean King / Rosie Casals |
|Ken Fletcher / Margaret Court |
The 1968 Wimbledon Championships was a combined men's and women's tennis tournament that took place on the outdoor grass courts at the All England Lawn Tennis and Croquet Club in Wimbledon, London, United Kingdom. The tournament ran from 24 June until 6 July. It was the 82nd staging of the Wimbledon Championships, and the third Grand Slam tennis event of 1968.
This tournament started the open era for Wimbledon, as it became the second Grand Slam tournament to offer prize money and allow professionals to compete after the 1968 French Open. Singles champions Laver and King had already won Wimbledon twice before in the amateur era.
The 1968 championships was the first edition of the tournament to offer prize money. The total prize money for the event was £26,150. The winner of the men's title earned £2,000 while the women's singles champion earned £750.
|Event||W||F||SF||QF||Round of 16||Round of 32||Round of 64||Round of 128|
|Men's Doubles *||£800||£500||£350||£180||£0||£0||£0||N/A|
* per team
- Boys' and Girls' Doubles did not commence until the 1982 Championships.
- "1968 Wimbledon Men's Singes draw". ATP.
- "Wimbledon draws archive – Ladies' Singles 1968" (pdf). AELTC.
- "1968 Wimbledon Men's Doubles draw". ATP.
- "Wimbledon draws archive – Ladies' Doubles 1968" (pdf). AELTC.
- "Wimbledon draws archive – Mixed Doubles 1968" (pdf). AELTC.
- "Open tennis accepted for Wimbledon". espn.go.com. ESPN. 14 December 1967.
- "Open Tennis Tourneys Approved by British". Spokane Daily Chronicle. AP. 14 December 1967. p. 31.
- Little, Alan (2013). Wimbledon Compendium 2013 (23 ed.). London: All England Lawn Tennis & Croquet Club. pp. 327–334. ISBN 978-1899039401.
- John Barrett, ed. (1969). BP Year Book of World Tennis. London, Sydney: Ward Lock & Co. Ltd. p. 52. OCLC 502175694.
1968 French Open
|Grand Slams||Succeeded by
1968 US Open