1968 in the Philippines
Jump to navigation Jump to search
1968 in the Philippines details events of note that happened in the Philippines in 1968.
- President: Ferdinand Marcos (Nacionalista Party)
- Vice President: Fernando Lopez (Nacionalista Party)
- House Speaker: José Laurel, Jr.
- Chief Justice: Roberto Concepcion
- Congress: 6th
- March 18 – Jabidah massacre takes place when Army soldiers murdered a number of Moro recruits through machine gunfire in Corregidor Island in retaliation to the planned invasion of Sabah.
- August 2 – The 1968 Casiguran earthquake occurred with a moment magnitude of 7.6 and a maximum Mercalli intensity of IX (Violent). The earthquake's epicenter was located in Casiguran, Aurora. This was deemed the most destructive earthquake in the Philippines prior to the 1990 Luzon earthquake.
- October 12–27 – The Philippines participated in the 1968 Summer Olympics with 49 competitors in ten sports.
- December 26-The CPP is founded under the guidance of Marxism-Leninism-Maoism by Joma Sison
- December 18 – ABS-CBN opens its present-day headquarters, the ABS-CBN Broadcasting Center on Bohol Avenue (renamed as Sgt. Esguerra Avenue in 1989), Quezon City, the most advanced broadcast facility in the country during that time.
- April 13 – Lani Mercado, actress and incumbent Mayor of Bacoor
- April 23 – Juan Miguel Zubiri, Filipino Representative and senator
- May 12 – Herbert Bautista, incumbent mayor of Quezon City
- May 21 – Julie Vega, child actress and singer (d. 1985)
- June 21 – Jett Pangan, singer
- June 29 – Robbie Guevara, actor, director, producer
- July 7 - Dingdong Avanzado, singer and actor
- July 15 – Julius Babao
- September 3 – Grace Poe
- November 9 – Janice de Belen
- November 15 - Teodoro Casiño, journalist and politician
- November 20 - Princess Punzalan
- December 11 - Eula Valdez
- February 21 – Vicente Duterte, Filipino politician and lawyer, father of the 16th President of the Philippines, Rodrigo Duterte (b. 1911)
- February 11 – Efren Reyes, Sr., Filipino actor (b. 1924)
- May 8 – Telesforo Trinidad, Filipino fireman in the United States Navy and recipient of the Medal of Honor (b. 1890)
- September 20 – Higino A. Acala, Sr., Filipino lawyer (b. 1925)