1969 European Cup Final
|Event||1968–69 European Cup|
|Date||28 May 1969|
|Venue||Santiago Bernabéu, Madrid|
|Referee||José María Ortiz de Mendíbil (Spain)|
The 1969 European Cup Final was a football match held at the Santiago Bernabéu, Madrid, on 28 May 1969, that saw Milan of Italy play against Ajax of the Netherlands to determine who would be the champions of Europe that season. Ajax made history by becoming the first Dutch side to reach the final, but they were beaten by their Italian opponents 4–1.
Route to the final
Milan had a bye in the second round due to the withdrawal of a number of Eastern European clubs from the competition.
In the quarterfinal round, after two legs, eventual finalists Ajax were deadlocked 4–4 on aggregate against Portuguese side S.L. Benfica, forcing a replay. The Dutch champions won decisively in the replay by a score of 3–0.
|Opponent||Agg.||1st leg||2nd leg||Opponent||Agg.||1st leg||2nd leg||Play-off|
|Malmö FF||5–3||1–2 (A)||4–1 (H)||First round||Nürnberg||5–1||1–1 (A)||4–0 (H)|
|Bye||Second round||Fenerbahçe||4–0||2–0 (H)||2–0 (A)|
|Celtic||1–0||0–0 (H)||1–0 (A)||Quarter-finals||Benfica||4–4 (r)||3–1 (A)||1–3 (a.e.t.) (H)||3–0 (a.e.t.)|
|Manchester United||2–1||2–0 (H)||0–1 (A)||Semi-finals||Spartak Trnava||3–2||3–0 (H)||0–2 (A)|
|Prati 7', 40', 75'
|Report||Vasović 60' (pen.)|
- 1968–69 European Cup
- 1995 UEFA Champions League Final – contested by the same teams
- A.C. Milan in European football
- AFC Ajax in European football
- "Il mondo ai piedi del Milan di Rocco". La Gazzetta dello Sport (in Italian). Retrieved 21 May 2020.
- "Coppa Campioni 1968/69: MILAN" (in Italian). storiedicalcio.altervista.org. Retrieved 21 May 2020.
- "2011/12 UEFA Champions League statistics handbook: History (European Champion Clubs' Cup/UEFA Champions League, 1955–2011)" (PDF). UEFA.com. Union of European Football Associations. 28 May 2011. p. 7. Archived (PDF) from the original on 24 May 2012. Retrieved 28 January 2019.