1969 Stanley Cup Finals
The 1969 Stanley Cup Final was a best-of-seven series played from April 27 to May 4, 1969, between the defending champions Montreal Canadiens and the St. Louis Blues, the same finalists as in 1968. As they had done the previous year, the Canadiens would win the series in four straight games.
Paths to the final
Claude Ruel became the eleventh rookie coach to win the Stanley Cup. Montreal goaltender Rogie Vachon limited St. Louis to three goals in four games. In the process, he earned his first career playoff shutout.
|April 27||St. Louis||1||Montreal||3|
|April 29||St. Louis||1||Montreal||3|
|May 1||Montreal||4||St. Louis||0|
|May 4||Montreal||2||St. Louis||1|
Montreal wins the series 4–0.
|April 27||St. Louis Blues||1–3
1 – 2, 0 – 0, 0 – 1
|Montreal Canadiens||Montreal Forum
|Jacques Plante||Goalies||Rogie Vachon|
Frank St. Marseille 3 (Bill McCreary, Noel Picard) – 18:24
|0 – 1
0 – 2
1 – 2
1 – 3
|3:39 – Dick Duff 3 (Yvan Cournoyer, Jean Béliveau) (PP)
4:17 – Bobby Rousseau 3 (Claude Provost) (SH)
19:46 – John Ferguson 3 (Henri Richard) (EN)
Montreal Canadiens 1969 Stanley Cup champions
- Coaching and administrative staff
Stanley Cup engraving
- Anthony "Tony" Esposito's name was misspelled on the Replica Stanley Cup created in 1992–93 as P. FSPOSITO instead of A. ESPOSITO.
- Claude Ruel was the 10th NHL rookie coach to win the Stanley Cup.
- &-Gilles Tremblay missed the playoffs with a career ending injury. His name was still included on the Stanley Cup.
- &-Lucien Grenier played 2 playoff games, but name was left off the Stanley Cup even though he qualified to be engraved on it
- ^-name was left off the Stanley Cup, but qualified to be included.
Won 4 Stanley Cups in 5 Years with Montreal 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969
Ralph Backstrom, Jean Béliveau, Yvan Cournoyer, Dick Duff, John Ferguson, Terry Harper, Ted Harris, Jacques Laperrière, Claude Provost, Henri Richard, Bobby Rousseau, Gilles Tremblay, Jean-Claude Tremblay, Gump Worsley (14 players), David Molson, Sam Pollock, Larry Aubut (3 non-players).
- Diamond, Dan, ed. (2000). Total Stanley Cup. NHL.
- Podnieks, Andrew; Hockey Hall of Fame (2004). Lord Stanley's Cup. Triumph Books. ISBN 978-1-55168-261-7.
Stanley Cup Champions