1969 in India
Jump to navigation Jump to search
This article does not cite any sources. (December 2009) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|See also:||List of years in India|
Timeline of Indian history
Events in the year 1969 in the Republic of India.
- President of India – Zakir Hussain until 3 May, V. V. Giri until 20 July (acting president), Mohammad Hidayatullah until 24 August (acting president), V. V. Giri
- Prime Minister of India – Indira Gandhi
- Chief Justice of India – Mohammad Hidayatullah
- 18 September: Start of the 1969 Gujarat riots
- Exact date unknown
- Indian National Congress splits into two factions. One led by Indira Gandhi and another led by Morarji Desai.
- Rajdhani Express was introduced in 1969.
- 14 banks nationalised by Indira Gandhi
- India was close to insolvency in 1969
- ISRO was set up
- CISF came into existence in 1969
- 7 January – Mandakini, actress.
- 7 November – Nandita Das, actress.
- 11 December – Viswanathan Anand, chess grandmaster and current World Chess Champion.
Full date unknown
- Soumya Bhattacharya, journalist and author.
- 31 January – Meher Baba, mystic and spiritual master (born 1894).
- 10 January -Sampurnanand, writer and politician (born 1891).
- 23 February – Madhubala, actress (born 1933).
- 3 May – Zakir Hussain, politician and third President of India (born 1897).
- 13 June - Acharya Atre, Writer, Poet, Social Activist in the Samyukt Maharashtra Movement (born 1898).
- 28 July – Annabhau Sathe, social reformer and writer (born 1920).
2 February C.N.Annadurai politician-chief Minister of Tamil Nadu(State of India)
|This Indian history-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|