1969 in the Philippines
Jump to navigation Jump to search
1969 in the Philippines details events of note that happened in the Philippines in 1969.
- President: Ferdinand Marcos (Nacionalista Party)
- Vice President: Fernando Lopez (Nacionalista Party)
- House Speaker: José Laurel, Jr.
- Chief Justice: Roberto Concepcion
- Congress: 6th (until June 17)
- March 29 – The New People's Army was formed and founded by Bernabe Buscayno by merging of Huk's peasant's army with Jose Maria Sison's revolutionary band.
- May 11 – Tuguegarao, Cagayan experienced a heatwave with a recorded temperature of 42.2 °C.
- July 19 – Miss Philippines Gloria Diaz was crowned Miss Universe 1969.
- July 26 – United States President Richard Nixon visited the Philippines .
- September 10 – Inauguration of the Cultural Center of the Philippines along Manila Bay.
- October 15 – DZKB-TV Channel 9 of Kanalon Broadcasting System (now Radio Philippines Network), the Philippines TV station, owner by Roberto S. Benedicto, is launched.
- November 11 – Presidential, legislative and local elections were held in the Philippines. Incumbent President Ferdinand Marcos won an unprecedented second full term as President of the Philippines. Marcos was the last president in the entire electoral history who ran and won for a second term. His running mate, incumbent Vice President Fernando Lopez was also elected to a third full term as Vice President of the Philippines. An unprecedented twelve candidates ran for president, however ten of those were nuisance candidates. The administration party, the Nacionalista Party, won 6 out of 8 seats in the Philippine Senate and 88 out of 110 seats in the House of Representatives.
- January 3 – Dean Francis Alfar, Filipino author
- March 4 – Dawn Zulueta, Filipino actress
- March 20 - Ruffy Biazon, Filipino politician
- March 21 – Jaya, Filipino soul music, singer, rapper, dancer, record producer, TV host, and actress
- July 13 – Vicky Morales, Filipina television journalist and news anchor
- July 28 – Alice Dixson, Filipino actress
- August 3 – Lani Misalucha, Filipina singer
- August 12 – Aga Muhlach, Filipino actor
- August 22 – Jean Garcia, Filipino actress
- September 5 – Amy Perez, Filipino actress and TV host
- October 10 – Francis Escudero, Filipino politician
- November 23 – Robin Padilla, Filipino actor, producer
- December 19 – Michael V., Filipino comedian and actor
- March 31 – Botong Francisco, Filipino muralist (b. 1914)
- June 5 - Simeon Toribio, Filipino athlete (b. 1905)
- August 26 – Alejandro G. Abadilla, Filipino poet and essayist (b. 1906)