|Cardinal||one hundred ninety-six|
(one hundred ninety-sixth)
|Divisors||1, 2, 4, 7, 14, 28, 49, 98, 196|
- an even number.
- an abundant number, as the sum of its proper divisors (203) is greater than 196.
- a composite number.
- a square number (142).
- an Erdős–Woods number, as it is possible to find sequences of 196 consecutive integers such that each inner member shares a factor with either the first or the last member.
- an odious number.
- a powerful number.
- a practical number.
- an 11-gonal number.
- a 34-gonal number.
- a pentagonal pyramidal number.
- a heptagonal pyramidal number.
- palindromic in bases 13 (12113), 27 (7727), 48 (4448), 97 (2297) and 195 (11195).
- a Harshad number in bases 4, 7, 8, 13, 14, 15, 22, 25, 27, 28, 29, (and 17 other bases).
- the aliquot sum of 140, 176 and 386.
- part of the 37-aliquot tree. The aliquot sequence starting at 96 is: 96, 156, 236, 184, 176, 196, 203, 37, 1, 0
Possible Lychrel number
A Lychrel number is a natural number which cannot form a palindromic number through the iterative process of repeatedly reversing its digits and adding the resulting numbers. 196 is the lowest number conjectured to be a Lychrel number in base 10; the process has been carried out for over billion iterations without finding a palindrome, but no one has ever proven that it will never produce one.
In the military
- 196th Battalion (Western Universities), CEF was a unit in the Canadian Expeditionary Force during World War I
- 196th Division (People's Republic of China) was a military formation of the People's Volunteer Army during the Korean War
- 196th Infantry Brigade (United States) is part of the United States Army Reserve's 98th Division
- 196th Reconnaissance Squadron is a unit of the California Air National Guard
- USNS Kanawha (T-AO-196) is a United States Navy Henry J. Kaiser-class fleet replenishment oiler in service since 1990
- USS Edith M. III (SP-196) was a motorboat during World War I
- USS George E. Badger (DD-196) was United States Navy Clemson-class destroyer during World War II
- USS Logan (APA-196) was a United States Navy Haskell-class attack transport during World War II
- USS Meadowlark (AMS-196) was a United States Navy Falcon-class coastal minesweeper from 1954–1976
- USS Minidoka (AK-196) was a United States Navy Alamosa-class cargo ship during World War II
- USS Rinehart (DE-196) was a United States Navy Cannon-class destroyer escort during World War II
- USS Searaven (SS-196) was a United States Navy Sargo-class submarine prior to World War II
In other fields
196 is also:
- The year AD 196 or 196 BC
- Number of Yoga Sutras of Patanjali is 196
- The atomic number of an element temporarily called Unennhexium
- 196 Philomela is a large S-type main belt asteroid
- Minuscule 196 is a Greek minuscule manuscript of the New Testament, on parchment
- 196 Palindrome Quest
- List of highways numbered 196
- United Nations Security Council Resolution 196
- United States Supreme Court cases, Volume 196
- Pennsylvania House of Representatives, District 196
- Independent School District 196, Twin Cities, Minnesota
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to 196 (number).|
- 196 and Other Lychrel Numbers
- 196 Palindrome Quest
- Number Facts and Trivia: 196
- The Number 196
- Number Gossip: 196
- The Positive Integer 196
- Sloane, N.J.A. (ed.). "Sequence A059756". The On-Line Encyclopedia of Integer Sequences. OEIS Foundation.
- Sloane, N.J.A. (ed.). "Sequence A005153". The On-Line Encyclopedia of Integer Sequences. OEIS Foundation.
- Sloane, N.J.A. (ed.). "Sequence A051682". The On-Line Encyclopedia of Integer Sequences. OEIS Foundation.
- Sloane, N.J.A. (ed.). "Sequence A002411". The On-Line Encyclopedia of Integer Sequences. OEIS Foundation.
- Sloane, N.J.A. (ed.). "Sequence A002413". The On-Line Encyclopedia of Integer Sequences. OEIS Foundation.
- Wells, D. (1987). The Penguin Dictionary of Curious and Interesting Numbers (pp. 142 – 143). London: Penguin Group.