1970 North American Soccer League season
|Goals scored||253 (3.01 per match)|
|Top goalscorer||Koulis Apostolidis|
Six teams competed with the Rochester Lancers winning the championship. Santos FC of Brazil beat the NASL All-Stars 4-3 at Soldier Field in Chicago to finish the season. In 1970, NASL teams rounded out their schedules by playing an assortment of foreign clubs including Hapoel Petah Tikva, Varzim, Hertha Berlin and Coventry City. These games weren't just for attendance but also counted in the standings. The Washington Darts went 2-2-0 versus the international teams earning the "International Cup".
Changes from the previous season
W = Wins, L = Losses, T= Ties, GF = Goals For, GA = Goals Against, PT= point system
6 points for a win, 3 points for a tie, 0 points for a loss, 1 point for each goal scored up to three per game.
- -Premiers (most points). -Other playoff team.
|Kansas City Spurs||8||10||6||42||44||100|
|St. Louis Stars||5||17||2||26||71||60|
|First Team||Position||Second Team|
|Lincoln Phillips, Washington||G||Leonel Conde, Kansas City|
|Charlie Mitchell, Rochester||D||John Cocking, Atlanta|
|Uriel da Veiga, Atlanta||D||Delroy Scott, Atlanta|
|Willie Evans, Washington||M||Ray Bloomfield, Atlanta|
|John Best, Dallas||M||Roy Turner, Dallas|
|Billy Fraser, Washington||M||Bob DeLuca, Rochester|
|Carlos Metidieri, Rochester||F||Warren Archibald, Washington|
|Dave Metchick, Atlanta||F||Clarival Oliveira, Kansas City|
|Art Welch, Atlanta||F||Kirk Apostolidis, Dallas|
|Leroy DeLeon, Washington||F||Mike Renshaw, Dallas|
|Manfred Seissler, Kansas City||F||Pat McBride, St. Louis|
NASL Final 1970
|Northern Champions||Aggregate||Southern Champions||First leg||Second leg||Attendance|
|Rochester Lancers||4–3||Washington Darts||3–0||1–3||September 5 • Aquinas Memorial Stadium • 9,321|
September 13 • Brookland Stadium • 5,543
|Rochester Lancers||3–0||Washington Darts|
|Costa 26' (Kankam)
Costa 61' (Ofori)
Marotti 72' (pen.)
|Washington Darts||3–1||Rochester Lancers|
|DeLeon 44' (pen.)
Gyau 49' (Grell)
Browne 65' (Archibald)
|Report||Costa 40' (Metidieri)|
1970 NASL Champions: Rochester Lancers
Post season awards
- Most Valuable Player: Carlos Metidieri, Rochester
- Coach of the year: Sal DeRosa, Rochester
- Rookie of the year: Jim Leeker, St. Louis
- "The Year in American Soccer - 1970". Homepages.sover.net. Retrieved 2014-01-13.
- Dunn, Don (17 September 1970). "Pele Amazing to Soccer Experts, Meets Darts Tomorrow at RFK". Cumberland Evening Times. Retrieved 6 February 2018.
- "NASL Homepage". Web.archive.org. 2008-05-01. Archived from the original on May 1, 2008. Retrieved 2014-01-13.
- "Steve Dimitry's NASL Web Page". Oocities.org. Retrieved 2014-01-13.
- "Previo Campeones: Rochester Lancers Capturan Titulo En 1970". 15 Sep 2015. Retrieved 2016-01-22.
- Loj, Alex (September 6, 1970). "Lancers Defeat Darts". Rochester Democrat and Chronicle. p. 1D. Retrieved August 3, 2017.
- Stolze, Craig (September 14, 1970). "Lancers Soccer Champs". Rochester Democrat and Chronicle. p. 1D. Retrieved August 3, 2017.