1971 Wimbledon Championships
|1971 Wimbledon Championships|
|Date||21 June – 3 July|
|Category||Grand Slam (ITF)|
London, United Kingdom
|John Newcombe |
|Evonne Goolagong |
|Roy Emerson / Rod Laver|
|Rosemary Casals / Billie Jean King|
|Billie Jean King / Owen Davidson|
The 1971 Wimbledon Championships was a tennis tournament that took place on the outdoor grass courts at the All England Lawn Tennis and Croquet Club in Wimbledon, London, United Kingdom. The tournament ran from 21 June until 3 July. It was the 85th staging of the Wimbledon Championships, and the third Grand Slam tennis event of 1971.
The total prize money for 1971 championships was £37,790. The winner of the men's title earned £3,750 while the women's singles champion earned £1,800.
|Event||W||F||SF||QF||Round of 16||Round of 32||Round of 64||Round of 128|
|Men's Doubles *||£750||£450||£300||£150||£0||£0||£0||N/A|
|Women's Doubles *||£450||£300||£150||£75||£0||£0||£0||N/A|
|Mixed Doubles *||£375||£265||£130||£75||£0||£0||£0||£0|
* per team
- It was Newcombe's 4th career Grand Slam title (his 2nd in the Open Era), and his 3rd (and last) Wimbledon title.
- It was Goolagong's 2nd career Grand Slam title, and her 1st Wimbledon title.
- Collins, Bud (2010). The Bud Collins History of Tennis (2nd ed.). [New York]: New Chapter Press. pp. 421, 432. ISBN 978-0942257700.
- "Results Archive – 1971 Wimbledon Men's Singles". ATP. Retrieved 8 August 2012.
- Barrett, John (2001). Wimbledon : The Official History of the Championships. London: CollinsWillow. pp. 374, 375. ISBN 0007117078.
- Little, Alan (2013). Wimbledon Compendium 2013 (23 ed.). London: All England Lawn Tennis & Croquet Club. pp. 327–334. ISBN 978-1899039401.
1971 French Open
|Grand Slams||Succeeded by
1971 U.S. Open