1971 in art
Jump to navigation Jump to search
The year 1971 in art involved some significant events and new works.
- July 22 – The Lady of Baza Iberian sculpture (4th century BCE) is discovered.
- October 24 – English painter Francis Bacon's lover, George Dyer, commits suicide two days before the opening of the artist's retrospective at Paris's Grand Palais; Bacon will paint The Black Triptychs in his memory.
- Construction of the Centre Georges Pompidou in Paris begins.
- New Walker Art Center in Minneapolis, designed by Edward Larrabee Barnes, opens.
- Hans Haacke – Real Time Social System
- David Hockney – Mr and Mrs Clark and Percy
- Helen Journeay – Dawn (sculpture, Houston, Texas)
- Nabil Kanso – Place des Martyres (paintings) (1971 through 1974)
- Fritz Koenig – Great Spherical Caryatid ("The Sphere", for World Trade Center, New York City)
- John Raimondi – Cage
- Kaapa Tjampitjinpa – Gulgardi
- Francisco Zúñiga – Mother and Daughter Seated (bronze, San Diego)
- August 22 until September 29 - The "De Luxe Show" curated by Peter Bradley at the De Luxe movie theater in Houston, Texas sponsored by the Menil Foundation.
- May 9 – Nicolas Ghesquière, French fashion designer
- June 1 – Miguel Calderón, Mexican visual artist and performer
- September 2 – Arnold Arre, Filipino comic book writer and artist
- September 7 – Sirpa Masalin, Finnish sculptor
- September 13 – Stella McCartney, English fashion designer
- October 1 – Stéphane Breitwieser, French art thief
- October 3 – Oliver Briceño, Venezuelan oboist
- October 4 – Jeremy Blake, American digital artist and painter (died 2007)
- October 27 – Jade Arcade, American composer, musician and comic book artist
- date unknown
- January 10 – Coco Chanel, French fashion designer (born 1883)
- January 11 – I. Rice Pereira, American painter, (born 1902)
- February 7 – Emy Roeder, German sculptor (born 1890)
- April 3 – Jacques Ochs, French artist, Olympic fencing gold medallist (born 1883)
- April 11 – Marcel Gromaire, French painter (born 1892)
- May 31 – Norman Wilkinson, English marine artist (born 1878)
- June 14 – Gerald Dillon, Irish painter (born 1916)
- July 7 – Ub Iwerks, American animator, cartoonist and special effects technician (born 1901)
- July 12 – Kiyoshi Yamashita, Japanese outsider artist (born 1922)
- August 27 – Margaret Bourke-White, American photographer and photojournalist (born 1904)
- November 9 – Ceri Richards, Welsh painter (born 1903)
- December 6 – Jan Altink, Dutch painter (born 1885)