1972 in India
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
|This article does not cite any references or sources. (December 2009)|
|See also:||List of years in India
Timeline of Indian history
Events in the year 1972 in the Republic of India.
- 21 January - Manipur gets statehood.
- 19 March - India and Bangladesh sign a friendship treaty, after the withdrawal of the Indian troops.
- 2 July - Following Pakistan's surrender to India in the Indo-Pakistani War of 1971, both nations sign the historic bilateral Simla Agreement, agreeing to settle their disputes peacefully.
- 10 July - A stampede of elephants kills 24 people in the Chandka Forest.
- Armed Forces (Assam and Manipur) Special Powers (Amendment) Act, 1972
- 24 February - Pooja Bhatt, actress, producer and director.
- 15 April - Mandira Bedi, actress, model and television presenter.
- 20 April - Mamta Kulkarni, actress.
- 8 July - Sourav Ganguly, cricketer.