1972 in India
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
|This article does not cite any sources. (December 2009) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|See also:||List of years in India
Timeline of Indian history
Events in the year 1972 in the Republic of India.
- 21 January – Manipur gets statehood.
- 19 March – India and Bangladesh sign a friendship treaty, after the withdrawal of the Indian troops.
- 2 July – Following Pakistan's surrender to India in the Indo-Pakistani War of 1971, both nations sign the historic bilateral Simla Agreement, agreeing to settle their disputes peacefully.
- 10 July – A stampede of elephants kills 24 people in the Chandka Forest.
- Armed Forces (Assam and Manipur) Special Powers (Amendment) Act, 1972
- 15 August 1972 Pincode (postal index Number- PIN) Introduced in India
- 9 September 1972 wild life protection Act
- 24 February – Pooja Bhatt, actress, producer and director.
- 15 April – Mandira Bedi, actress, model and television presenter.
- 20 April – Mamta Kulkarni, actress.
- 8 July – Sourav Ganguly, cricketer.