1973 National Invitation Tournament
|Finals site||Madison Square Garden|
New York City
|Champions||Virginia Tech Hokies (1st title)|
|Runner-up||Notre Dame Fighting Irish (1st title game)|
|Winning coach||Don DeVoe (1st title)|
|MVP||John Shumate (Notre Dame)|
The 1973 National Invitation Tournament was the 1973 edition of the annual NCAA college basketball competition. It was won by Virginia Tech, which won the four games played in Madison Square Garden by a total of five points, including a 92-91 overtime victory over Notre Dame. 
Below is a list of the 16 teams selected for the tournament.
Below is the tournament bracket.
|Third place game|
For years after the game, North Carolina hung a banner in the Dean Smith Center that read "NIT 3RD PLACE 1973." The banner became the subject of ridicule from rival fans, and has since been removed.
- 1973 NCAA University Division Basketball Tournament
- 1973 NCAA College Division Basketball Tournament
- 1973 NAIA Division I Men's Basketball Tournament
- 1973 National Women's Invitational Tournament
- Putnam, Pat. "Who's afraid of Virginia Tech". si.com. Sports Illustrated. Retrieved 19 February 2019.
- Tournament Results (1970's) at nit.org, URL accessed November 7, 2009. Archived 11/7/09