1973 World Snooker Championship
Jump to navigation Jump to search
|Dates||16–28 April 1973|
|Venue||City Exhibition Hall|
|Total prize fund||£8,000|
|Highest break||John Spencer (139)|
The 1973 World Snooker Championship (also known as 1973 Park Drive World Snooker Championship for sponsorship reasons) was a snooker tournament that took place between 16 and 28 April 1973 at the City Exhibition Hall in Manchester, England.
- The competition took place over 13 days, rather than the months it had taken to complete previous championships. Park Drive continued to sponsor the event.
- The first-round matches were played on 16 April, the second round matches on 17 and 18 April, the quarter-finals on 19 and 20 April, the semi-finals from 21 to 23 April with the final played over 5 days from 24 to 28 April.
- Cliff Thorburn and Dennis Taylor made their debuts; both would later become world champions. They played each other in the first round and Thorburn won 9–8.
- Alex Higgins beat Fred Davis in the quarter-finals 16–14. The match is noted for a rain interruption.
- Reardon staged a recovery when, having trailed John Spencer 12–19, he won their semi-final 23–22. Reardon lost the first session of the final against Eddie Charlton 0–7, but went on to win 38–32. For the first time some frames of the final were televised by the BBC.
- Spencer made the highest break of the tournament with 139.
Best of 17 frames
Best of 31 frames
Best of 31 frames
Best of 45 frames
Best of 75 frames
|Pat Houlihan||9||Alex Higgins||16|
|Jackie Rea||2||Pat Houlihan||3|
|David Greaves||9||Fred Davis||16|
|Bernard Bennett||8||David Greaves||1|
|Graham Miles||9||John Pulman||10|
|Geoff Thompson||5||Graham Miles||16|
|Perrie Mans||9||Eddie Charlton||16|
|Ron Gross||2||Perrie Mans||8|
|Warren Simpson||9||Gary Owen||16|
|Maurice Parkin||3||Warren Simpson||14|
|Jim Meadowcroft||w/o||Ray Reardon||16|
|Kingsley Kennerley||w/d||Jim Meadowcroft||10|
|Cliff Thorburn||9||Rex Williams||16|
|Dennis Taylor||8||Cliff Thorburn||15|
|David Taylor||9||John Spencer||16|
|John Dunning||4||David Taylor||5|
- Turner, Chris. "World Professional Championship". cajt.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk. Chris Turner's Snooker Archive. Archived from the original on 16 April 2013. Retrieved 24 February 2011.
- "Cliff Thorburn at the World Championship". Snooker Database. Retrieved 8 August 2012.
- "Dennis Taylor at the World Championship". Snooker Database. Retrieved 8 August 2012.
- Kastner, Hugo. "Snooker – Spieler, Regeln & Rekorde (May 2011 update)" (PDF). Archived (PDF) from the original on 27 May 2012. Retrieved 27 May 2012.
- "2004 Embassy World Championship Information". Global Snooker Centre. Archived from the original on 8 December 2004. Retrieved 9 May 2012.
- "World Championship 1973". Global Snooker. Archived from the original on 2010-12-28. Retrieved 8 February 2011.
- "1973 World Championships Results". Snooker Database. Retrieved 6 March 2012.
- "Embassy World Championship". Snooker Scene. Archived from the original on 24 January 2013. Retrieved 9 May 2012.