1974 French Grand Prix
|Race 9 of 15 in the 1974 Formula One season|
|Date||July 7, 1974|
|Location||Dijon-Prenois, Dijon, France|
|Course||Permanent racing facitlity|
|Course length||3.289 km (2.044 mi)|
|Time||1:00.00  on lap 10|
To honor the 80th birthday of the ACF, a parade of vintage cars was organized with a selection of great drivers from the 20s and 30s up to the present day. The race itself was largely uneventful. Tom Pryce put in a superb performance to be 3rd on the grid behind Ronnie Peterson and Niki Lauda. However, he was slow off the start and was hit by Carlos Reutemann, ending his race. James Hunt and Henri Pescarolo were also taken out in the ensuing accident. Lauda led convincingly from Peterson and Clay Regazzoni with Emerson Fittipaldi up to 4th by lap 15. Lauda dropped back with handling problems on lap 16, and was passed by Peterson, who led to the flag. He was followed by Lauda and Regazzoni, who came home 3rd despite vibration problems. Regazzoni had been challenged strongly by Fittipaldi, but just as the McLaren driver was preparing to pass, Fittipaldi's engine exploded, ending his race. Jody Scheckter was fourth, less than a second behind Regazzoni.
- This was the only World Championship GP in which lap times of less than one minute were set, by 12 drivers during qualifying.
- Lauda's pole time was of the shortest duration of any lap in the Formula One World Championship's history
Championship standings after the race
- Note: Only the top five positions are included for both sets of standings. Only the best 7 results from the first 8 races and the best 6 results from the last 7 races counted towards the Championship. Numbers without parentheses are Championship points; numbers in parentheses are total points scored.
- Lang, Mike (1983). Grand Prix! Vol 3. Haynes Publishing Group. p. 39. ISBN 0-85429-380-9.
- Lang, Mike (1983). Grand Prix! Vol 3. Haynes Publishing Group. p. 41. ISBN 0-85429-380-9.
- "1974 French Grand Prix". formula1.com. Archived from the original on 18 January 2015. Retrieved 22 December 2015.
- "Dijon 1974 - classification". F1 Facts. Archived from the original on 7 August 2009. Retrieved 9 January 2016.
1974 Dutch Grand Prix
|FIA Formula One World Championship
1974 British Grand Prix
1973 French Grand Prix
|French Grand Prix||Next race:
1975 French Grand Prix