1974 in India
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
|See also:||List of years in India
Timeline of Indian history
Events in the year 1974 in the Republic of India.
- President of India – V. V. Giri until 24 August, Fakhruddin Ali Ahmed
- Prime Minister of India – Indira Gandhi
- January to May smallpox epidemic
- 18 May - Under project Smiling Buddha, India successfully detonates its first nuclear weapon in the Thar Desert, and becomes the sixth nation to do so.
- 1974 railway strike in India
- 1 January - Abha Dawesar, novelist.
- 9 January - Farhan Akhtar, actor.
- 10 January - Hrithik Roshan, actor.
- 7 January - Varun Badola, actor.
- 25 February - Divya Bharti, actress (died 1993).
- 8 March - Fardeen Khan, actor.
- 22 April - Chetan Bhagat, novelist.
- 23 April - Shwetha Menon, actor.
- 7 June - Mahesh Bhupathi, tennis player.
- 22 June - Joseph Vijay, actor and playback singer.
- 25 June - Karisma Kapoor, actress.
- 5 August - Kajol, actress.
- 9 August - Mahesh Babu, actor.
- 23 October - Aravind Adiga, journalist and author, 2008 Man Booker Prize winner.
- 1 November - V. V. S. Laxman, cricketer.
- 19 December - MVP, Writer & Author.
- 4 February - Satyendra Nath Bose, physicist (b. 1894).
- 11 February - Ghantasala Venkateswara Rao, Telugu Play Back Singer (b.1922).
- 23 September - Jayachamaraja Wodeyar Bahadur, last Maharaja of Mysore, philosopher, musicologist, political thinker and philanthropist (b. 1919).
- 6 October - V. K. Krishna Menon, nationalist and politician (b. 1897).
- 16 October - Chembai, Carnatic music singer (b. 1895).
- 16 October - Edasseri Govindan Nair, poet, playwright and essayist (b. 1906).
- J. P. Chandrababu, comedian-actor, singer and dancer (b. 1926).
- Kshetresa Chandra Chattopadhyaya, scholar of Sanskrit (b. 1896).
- Sucheta Kriplani, freedom fighter, politician and in Uttar Pradesh, became first woman to be elected Chief Minister of a state (b. 1908).
- Matthew Pothen Thekaekara, scientist (b. 1914).