1974 in India
Jump to navigation Jump to search
List of years in India|
Timeline of Indian history
Events in the year 1974 in the Republic of India.
- President of India – V. V. Giri (until 24 August), Fakhruddin Ali Ahmed (after 24 August)
- Prime Minister of India – Indira Gandhi
- Chief Justice of India – Ajit Nath Ray
- December 1973 - March 1974 – Navnirman Andolan (Re-construction movement) was a socio-political movement in 1974 in Gujarat by students and middle-class against economic crisis and corruption in public life. It resulted in dissolution of the elected government of the state at that time.
- January - April - Worli riots refers to the violence that occurred in the chawl in the Worli neighborhood of Mumbai between January and April 1974.
- January - May smallpox epidemic
- March 1974 - June 1975 - Bihar Movement was a movement initiated by students in Bihar in 1974 and led by the veteran Gandhian socialist Jayaprakash Narayan, against misrule and corruption in the Government of Bihar.
- 18 May – Under project Smiling Buddha, India successfully detonates its first nuclear weapon in the Thar Desert, and becomes the sixth nation to do so.
- May - 1974 railway strike in India was a major strike by the workers of Indian Railways. The strike lasted from 8 to 27 May 1974. The 20 day strike by 1.7 million workers is the largest recorded industrial action in the world.
- 1 January – Abha Dawesar, novelist.
- 9 January – Farhan Akhtar, actor.
- 10 January – Hrithik Roshan, actor.
- 7 January – Varun Badola, actor.
- 25 February – Divya Bharti, actress (died 1993).
- 8 March – Fardeen Khan, actor.
- 22 April – Chetan Bhagat, novelist.
- 23 April – Shwetha Menon, actor.
- 7 June – Mahesh Bhupathi, tennis player.
- 22 June – Joseph Vijay, actor and playback singer.
- 25 June – Karisma Kapoor, actress.
- 5 August – Kajol, actress.
- 9 August – Mahesh Babu, actor.
- 23 October – Aravind Adiga, journalist and author, 2008 Man Booker Prize winner.
- 1 November – V. V. S. Laxman, cricketer.
- 19 December – MVP, Writer & Author.
- 4 February – Satyendra Nath Bose, physicist (b. 1894).
- 11 February – Ghantasala Venkateswara Rao, Telugu Play Back Singer (b.1922).
- 23 September – Jayachamaraja Wodeyar Bahadur, last Maharaja of Mysore, philosopher, musicologist, political thinker and philanthropist (b. 1919).
- 6 October – V. K. Krishna Menon, nationalist and politician (b. 1897).
- 16 October – Chembai, Carnatic music singer (b. 1895).
- 16 October – Edasseri Govindan Nair, poet, playwright and essayist (b. 1906).
- J. P. Chandrababu, comedian-actor, singer and dancer (b. 1926).
- Kshetresa Chandra Chattopadhyaya, scholar of Sanskrit (b. 1896).
- Sucheta Kriplani, freedom fighter, politician and in Uttar Pradesh, became first woman to be elected Chief Minister of a state (b. 1908).
- Matthew Pothen Thekaekara, scientist (b. 1914).