1974 in art
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
|This article does not cite any sources. (December 2009) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
- 26 April – Nineteen Old Master paintings from the Beit collection are stolen from Russborough House in Ireland by a Provisional Irish Republican Army gang including English heiress Rose Dugdale.
- Roy Strong becomes Director of the Victoria and Albert Museum.
- Hallwalls a non profit exhibition space and arts organization is established in a converted ice packing warehouse in Buffalo, New York by the artists Charles Clough, Robert Longo, Diane Bertolo, Nancy Dwyer, Larry Lundy, Cindy Sherman and Michael Zwack.
|This section is empty. You can help by adding to it. (July 2010)|
See also: Category:1974 sculptures
- Bruce Beasley - Big Red (sculpture) in Eugene, Oregon
- Judy Dater – Imogen and Twinka at Yosemite (photograph)
- Silvio Gazzaniga - FIFA World Cup Trophy
- Nabil Kanso – Vietnam
- Joan Miró
- Odd Nerdrum – Liberation
- Enzo Plazzotta – Crucifixion
- Tony Rosenthal - 5 in 1 in New York City
- Ruskin Spear – Harold Wilson
- Graham Sutherland – Lord Goodman
- David Wynne – Boy With a Dolphin (bronze, Cheyne Walk, London)
- 15 May – Kadir Nelson, African American illustrator.
- 31 May – Adrian Tomine, American cartoonist.
- 16 June – Paul Lee, English artist.
- 1 September – Jhonen Vasquez, American comic book artist, cartoonist and writer.
- 8 November – Masashi Kishimoto, Japanese manga artist.
- 13 November - Kerim Seiler, Swiss artist and architect
- 7 December – Kang Full, South Korean webcomic artist.
Full date unknown
- Banksy, English graffiti artist.
- [Bogna Burska]], Polish playwright and visual artist.
- Amelie Chabannes, French painter and sculptor.
- Fabrice Lachant, French photographer.
- Dulce Pinzon, Mexican-born visual artist.
- Bojan Šarčević, Bosnian-French visual artist.
- Bedwyr Williams, Welsh installation and performance artist.
January to June
- 15 February – Petar Lubarda, Serbian painter (b. 1907).
- 4 March – Adolph Gottlieb, American abstract expressionist painter and sculptor (b. 1903).
- 9 March – Daniel O'Neill, Irish painter (b. 1920).
- 5 April – A. Y. Jackson, Canadian painter (b. 1882).
- 31 May – Juan Bautista Garcia, Puerto Rican painter (b. 1904).
- 7 June
- 22 June – Alain Saint-Ogan, French comics author and artist (b. 1895).
- 30 June – Frank McKelvey, Irish painter (b. 1895).
July to December
- 9 July – Georges Ribemont-Dessaignes, French writer and artist (b. 1884).
- 11 August – Jan Tschichold, German typographer, book designer, teacher and writer (b. 1902).
- August – André Edouard Marty, French artist (b. 1882).
- 8 September – James Swinnerton, American cartoonist and artist (b. 1875).
- 17 September – André Dunoyer de Segonzac, French painter and graphic artist (b. 1884).
- 28 October – David Jones, English poet and painter (b. 1895).
- 20 December – Risto Stijović, Serbian sculptor (b. 1894).
- 21 December – James Henry Govier, English painter (b. 1910).
- 25 December – Harry Kernoff, Irish painter (b. 1900).