1974 in the Vietnam War
|1974 in the Vietnam War|
Anti-Communist forces:South Vietnam
Kingdom of Laos
Communist forces:North Vietnam
People's Republic of China
|Casualties and losses|
|US: 178 killed 
South Vietnam: Killed
- January 19, 1974
The Battle of the Paracel Islands was an engagement fought between the naval forces of the People's Republic of China and the Republic of Vietnam (South Vietnam) in the Paracel Islands on January 19, 1974.
- April 27-May 2
- May 16 – November 20
The Battle of the Iron Triangle took place on May 16, 1974, when the 9th Division of the PAVN backed by a small contingent of tanks launched an attack on Rach Bap, took possession of An Dien and pushed south towards Phu Cuong.
- July 18 – November 3
The Battle of Thượng Đức began on 18 July when a regiment of the PAVN 324th Division overran the An Hoa Industrial Complex and then attacked the town of Thượng Ðức 40 km southwest of Danang. The costly battle would result in a Pyrrhic ARVN victory.
- August 9
From July 1965 to the end of 1974, fighting in Vietnam was attended by some 6,500 officers and generals, as well as more than 4,500 soldiers and sergeants of the Soviet Armed Forces.
- December 13, 1974-January 6, 1975
The Battle of Phuoc Long took place in Phuoc Long Province, about 100 km (62 mi) from South Vietnam's capital, Saigon, at present day Phuoc Binh. The campaign against Phuoc Long reflected North Vietnam's change in policy after the strategic raids of 1974, taking full advantage of South Vietnam's critical military situation.
- December 13, 1974 – April 30, 1975
The Ho Chi Minh Campaign was the final title applied to a series of increasingly large-scale and ambitious offensive operations by the Democratic Republic of Vietnam (North Vietnam) and the National Front for the Liberation of South Vietnam which began on 13 December 1974.
Year in numbers
|Armed Force||KIA||Reference||Military costs – 1974||Military costs in 2017 US$||Reference|
|South Vietnam ARVN|
|United States US Forces||1|||
- United States 2010
- Hickey 2001, p. 21
- (Russian): "Soviet rocketeer: After our arrival in Vietnam, American pilots refused to fly". rus.ruvr.ru. January 29, 2010. Retrieved May 26, 2010.
- Hickey, Dennis Van Vranken (2001). The armies of East Asia: China, Taiwan, Japan, and the Koreas (2001 ed.). Lynne Rienner Publishers. ISBN 1-55587-992-6. - Total pages: 273
- United States, Government (2010). "Statistical information about casualties of the Vietnam War". National Archives and Records Administration. Archived from the original on 26 January 2010. Retrieved March 6, 2010.
|Vietnam War timeline|