1975–76 Northern Rugby Football League season
|1975–76 Rugby Football League season|
|League||Northern Rugby Football League|
|Top point-scorer(s)||David Watkins 47|
|Top try-scorer(s)||Maurice Richards 37|
|Promotion and relegation|
|Promoted from Second Division|| Barrow|
|Relegated to Second Division|| Dewsbury|
The 1975–76 Rugby Football League season was the 81st season of rugby league football. The Championship was won by Salford and the Challenge Cup winners were St. Helens who beat Widnes 20-5 in the final. The Rugby League Premiership Trophy winners were also St. Helens who beat Salford 15-2 in the final.
The 1975–76 Players No.6 Trophy Winners were Widnes who beat Hull F.C. 19-13 in the final. The BBC2 Floodlit Trophy Winners were St. Helens who beat Dewsbury 22-2 in the final. Widnes beat Salford 16–7 to win the Lancashire County Cup, and Leeds beat Hull Kingston Rovers 15–11 to win the Yorkshire County Cup.
|8||Hull Kingston Rovers||30||17||0||13||446||472||34|
St Helens 20
In 1975–76 season the RFL introduced the Premiership Trophy competition. It was played at the end of the season with the top 8 in the league qualifying to play each other in a simple 1st versus 8th, 2nd versus 7th, 3rd versus 6th, and 4th versus 5th system. The final was played on a neutral venue. The competition was played until 1997 when it was scrapped.
This was the second end of season Premiership Play-off Final and was played in front of a crowd of 18,082 at Station Road, Swinton between the number four seeds, St Helens, and the number one seeds, Salford.
Referee: M.J.Naughton (Widnes)
St Helens - 15
Salford - 2
Second Division Championship
- "RFL Challenge Cup Roll of Honour". Archived from the original on 2009-09-16. Retrieved 2009-08-07.
- Raymond Fletcher; David Howes (1995). Rothmans Rugby League Yearbook 1995-1996. London: Headline Book Publishing. p. 193. ISBN 0-7472-7817-2.
- news.bbc.co.uk (27 February 2004). "Cup heroes: Eric Ashton". BBC Sport. UK: BBC. Retrieved 6 March 2011.
- Fletcher, Raymond; Howes, David (1995). Rothmans Rugby League Yearbook 1995-1996. London: Headline Book Publishing. p. 199. ISBN 0-7472-7817-2.
- Fletcher, Raymond; Howes, David (1995). Rothmans Rugby League Yearbook 1995-1996. London: Headline Book Publishing. p. 225. ISBN 0-7472-7817-2.
- Fletcher, Raymond; Howes, David (1995). Rothmans Rugby League Yearbook 1995-1996. London: Headline Book Publishing. p. 231. ISBN 0-7472-7817-2.
- "1975–76 Season summary". Archived from the original on 2009-09-16. Retrieved 2009-08-08.