1976 Tangerine Bowl
|1976 Tangerine Bowl|
|Date||December 18, 1976|
|MVP||Terry Miller, Oklahoma State (offensive & overall)
Phillip Dokes, Oklahoma State (defensive)
The 1976 Tangerine Bowl was held on December 18, 1976, featuring the BYU Cougars and Oklahoma State Cowboys at the Tangerine Bowl stadium in Orlando, Florida. BYU represented the Western Athletic Conference (WAC) in only their second bowl game as a program, and Oklahoma State represented the Big Eight Conference. The game pitted the two schools in the postseason for the second time in three years. Oklahoma State's running back Terry Miller broke the Tangerine Bowl records for total net yards run and longest run from scrimmage as well as tying another with four touchdowns scored as OSU defeated BYU, 49–21.
BYU was champion of the WAC for the third time in 11 years. The Cowboys went 3-1 against ranked opponents (beating #8 Kansas, #5 Oklahoma, and #14 Iowa State while losing to #9 Nebraska) while finishing in a three-way tie (the first and only time this occurred in conference history) in the Big Eight with Oklahoma and Colorado, with the former going to the Fiesta Bowl and the latter (who beat Oklahoma State) going to the Orange Bowl. The Cowboys were invited to the Tangerine Bowl, their second bowl appearance in three seasons. The two teams had met previously in the 1974 Fiesta Bowl.
- Oklahoma State - Dawson 36 pass interception (Daigle kick)
- BYU - Christensen 1-yard run (Taylor kick)
- Oklahoma State - Weatherbie 2-yard run (Daigle kick)
- Oklahoma State - Miller 3-yard run (Daigle kick)
- BYU - Thompson 27-yard pass from Nielson (Taylor kick)
- Oklahoma State - Miller 78-yard run (Daigle kick)
- BYU - Lowry 102-yard kickoff return (Taylor kick)
- Oklahoma State - R. Turner 1-yard run (kick failed)
- Oklahoma State - Miller 6-yard run (Lisle pass from Weatherbie)
- Oklahoma State - Miller 1-yard run (Daigle kick)
The Cougars returned to this bowl nine years later, by which time the game's name had changed and it was the 1985 Florida Citrus Bowl, while the Cowboys have not returned to this bowl.
- Greene, Jerry (December 19, 1976). Orlando Sentinel. Retrieved March 18, 2017 – via newspapers.com..
- Dunn, Marion (December 19, 1976). Daily Herald. Provo, Utah. Retrieved March 19, 2017 – via newspapers.com..
- Schmitz, Brian (December 19, 1976). Orlando Sentinel. Retrieved March 18, 2017 – via newspapers.com..