1976 United States Senate election in New York
Jump to navigation Jump to search
|Elections in New York State|
The 1976 United States Senate election in New York was held on November 2, 1976. Incumbent Republican U.S. Senator James Buckley ran for re-election to a second term, but was defeated by Pat Moynihan.
- Pat Moynihan, U.S. Ambassador to the United Nations since 1975 and former U.S. Ambassador to India (1973–1975)
- Bella Abzug, U.S. Congresswoman (1971-1977)
- Ramsey Clark, Former United States Attorney General and nominee for the U.S. Senate in 1974
- Paul O'Dwyer, Former New York City Council Member from Manhattan and nominee for the U.S. Senate in 1968
- Abraham Hirschfeld, Real-Estate Developer
- James Buckley, incumbent U.S. Senator since 1971 and brother of conservative activist William F. Buckley
- Peter Peyser, U.S. Congressman (1971-1977)
|Republican||James Buckley (Incumbent)||242,257||70.45|
|total||Pat Moynihan||3,422,594||54.17||+ 17.21|
|Republican||James Buckley (incumbent)||2,525,139|
|total||James Buckley||2,836,633||44.90||+ 5.95|
|Communist||Herbert Aptheker||25,141||0.40||+ 0.37|
|Socialist Workers||Marcia Gallo||16,350||0.26||+ 0.20|
|Libertarian||Martin E. Nixon||10,943||0.17||+ 0.17|
|U.S. Labor||Elijah C. Boyd||6,716||0.11||+ 0.11|
- "Our Campaigns - NY US Senate - D Primary Race - Sep 14, 1976". www.ourcampaigns.com. Retrieved July 16, 2017.
- "Our Campaigns - NY US Senate - C Convention Race - Apr 07, 1970". www.ourcampaigns.com. Retrieved July 16, 2017.
- "Our Campaigns - NY US Senate Race - Nov 02, 1976". www.ourcampaigns.com. Retrieved July 16, 2017.