1976 in archaeology
Jump to navigation Jump to search
|Table of years in archaeology|
|Related time period or subjects|
|Art Archaeology Architecture Literature Music Science more |
In Template:Year nav topic: extra parameters: science
The year 1976 in archaeology involved some significant events.
- The Chaco Project (National Park Service and University of New Mexico) excavates fourteen rooms at Pueblo Alto from 1976 to 1978.
- Hwangnyongsa, a large-scale Buddhist temple of the Korean Three Kingdoms state of Silla dating to AD 553 (excavations continue until 1983).
- Excavations at Tell Brak, Syria, are begun by a team from the Institute of Archaeology of the University of London (continue until 1981).
- Excavations at Mezhirich, Ukraine, resume, by N. L. Korniets and M. I. Gladkih (continue to 1981).
- Neolithic Tomb of the Eagles on Orkney first excavated by Ronald Simison.
- Excavation at Twann Bahnhof neolithic pile dwelling site in Switzerland (begun 1974) concludes.
- The Landscape of Towns by Michael Aston and James Bond.
- La Résistance africaine à la Romanisation by Marcel Bénabou.
- The Stone Circles of the British Isles by Aubrey Burl.
- The Mycenaean World by John Chadwick.
- Prehistoric Maori Fortifications by Aileen Fox.
- "The integration of historical and archaeological data concerning an historic wreck site, the Kennemerland", by Keith Muckelroy, World Archaeology 7.3 pp 280–289.
- Farming in the Iron Age by Peter J Reynolds.
- Industrial Archeology: A New Look at the American Heritage by Theodore Anton Sande.
- Tomb of Fu Hao discovered at Yinxu
- Joya de Cerén, "Pompeii of the Americas"
- Nim Li Punit
- The fourth trove of Qabala treasures
- Fossil animal footprints found at Laetoli, Tanzania.
- August 8: Founding of the modern Korean Archaeological Society, in Seoul, South Korea.
- August 27: Round Table removed from the wall of Winchester Castle in England for archaeological examination.
- July 22: Mortimer Wheeler, British archaeologist (b. 1890)
- Neil Merton Judd, American archaeologist (b. 1887)
- "South Ronaldsay, Isbister". Canmore. Retrieved 6 June 2017.
- Quinnell, Henrietta (2009). "Fox , Aileen Mary, Lady Fox (1907–2005)". Oxford Dictionary of National Biography. Oxford University Press. Retrieved 21 November 2017.
- Sande, Theodore Anton. Industrial Archeology: A New Look at the American Heritage. Brattleboro, Vermont. ISBN 9780140049718. OCLC 3770723. Retrieved 18 September 2018.
- "Mortimer Wheeler". Britannica.com. Retrieved 27 May 2017.
- "Portrait of Neil Merton Judd". Smithsonian Institution Archives. Retrieved 5 June 2017.