1977 Australian Drivers' Championship
|1977 Australian Drivers' Championship|
The 1977 Australian Drivers' Championship was a CAMS sanctioned Australian motor racing title open to racing cars complying with Australian Formula 1 or with Australian Formula 2. It was the 21st Australian Drivers' Championship to be awarded by CAMS. The title winner, John McCormack, was awarded the 1977 CAMS Gold Star.
The championship was contested over a four round series.
|Round ||Circuit ||Date ||Format ||Round winner ||Car |
|1||Surfers Paradise||28 August||One race||John McCormack||McLaren M23 Leyland|
|2||Sandown Park||11 September||One race||Alfredo Costanzo||Lola T332 Chevrolet|
|3||Calder||16 October||Two heats||Jon Davison||Lola T332 Chevrolet|
|4||Phillip Island||13 November||One race||John Leffler||Lola T400 Chevrolet|
Championship points were awarded on a 9-6-4-3-2-1 basis to the first six place-getters  at each round.
Where a round was contested over two heats, points were allocated on a 20-16-13-11-10-9-8-7-6-5-4-3-2-1 basis to the first 14 place-getters in each heat. The six drivers attaining the highest aggregate from both heats were then awarded the championship points for that round. Where more than one driver attained the same total, the relevant placing was awarded to the driver who was higher placed in the last heat.
|Position||Driver ||No. ||Car ||Sur ||San ||Cal ||Phi ||Total |
|1||John McCormack||77||McLaren M23 Leyland||9||-||6||4||19|
|2||John Leffler||1||Lola T400 Chevrolet||4||3||-||9||16|
|3||Alan Hamilton||9||Lola T430 Chevrolet||-||6||3||6||15|
|4||Alfredo Costanzo||84||Lola T332 Chevrolet||-||9||4||-||13|
|5||Jon Davison||4||Lola T332 Chevrolet||-||-||9||-||9|
|6||Kevin Bartlett||5||Lola T400 Chevrolet||3||4||-||1||8|
|7||Garrie Cooper||12||Elfin MR8 Chevrolet||6||-||-||-||6|
|=||Peter Edwards||Lola T332 Chevrolet||-||2||1||3||6|
|9||Terry Hook||15||Lola T332 Chevrolet||2||-||2||-||4|
|10||Chas Talbot||Begg FM5 Chevrolet||1||1||-||-||2|
|=||Graeme Smith ||Birrana 274||-||-||-||2 ||2 |
Sources vary as to the actual name of the championship.
- The 1977 CAMS Manual of Motor Sport refers to the Australian Formula 1 Championship - Gold Star Award, stating that "The phrase "Australian Champion Driver" shall be reserved exclusively for the winner of the CAMS Gold Star".
- Australian Competition Yearbook, 1978 Edition uses the term Australian Drivers' Championship.
- Historical records published by CAMS use the term Australian Drivers' Championship. 
- Conditions for Australian Titles, 1977 CAMS Manual of Motor Sport, pages 86 to 88
- Records, Titles and Awards, 2006 CAMS Manual of Motor Sport, page 14-4
- Australian National Formula One Review, Australian Competition Yearbook, 1978 Edition, pages 111 to 119
- Australian Competition Yearbook lists Graeme Smith as the fifth placed driver at the Phillip Island round put does not include an entry for this placing in its Australian Drivers' Championship points table
- Past Title Winners, 1980 CAMS Manual of Motor Sport, page 56