1977 Wimbledon Championships
|1977 Wimbledon Championships|
|Date||20 June – 2 July|
|Category||Grand Slam (ITF)|
|Draw||128S / 64D / 64XD|
London, United Kingdom
|Ross Case / Geoff Masters|
|Helen Gourlay Cawley / JoAnne Russell|
|Greer Stevens / Bob Hewitt|
The 1977 Wimbledon Championships was a tennis tournament that took place on the outdoor grass courts at the All England Lawn Tennis and Croquet Club in Wimbledon, London, United Kingdom. The tournament ran from 20 June until 2 July. It was the 91st staging of the Wimbledon Championships, and the third Grand Slam tennis event of 1977.
The total prize money for 1977 championships was £222,540. The winner of the men's title earned £15,000 while the women's singles champion earned £13,500.
|Event||W||F||SF||QF||Round of 16||Round of 32||Round of 64||Round of 128|
|Men's Doubles *||£6,000||£3,000||£2,000||£1,000||£500||£150||£0||N/A|
|Women's Doubles *||£5,200||£2,600||£1,600||£800||£350||£100||£0||N/A|
|Mixed Doubles *||£3,000||£1,500||£700||£400||£200||£0||£0||N/A|
* per team
- It was Borg's second consecutive Wimbledon title and 4th Grand Slam title overall.
- It was Wade's first and only Wimbledon title, third and final Grand Slam title overall. Wade remains the last British woman to win the singles title at Wimbledon.
- "Wimbledon 1977 – Info". ITFTennis.com. Retrieved 17 January 2011.
- "Borg Puts An End To Connors' Bid To Take Wimbledon Title.". Rome News-Tribune (Wimbledon, London, England). 3 July 1977. Retrieved 17 January 2011.
- "14 Years Of Trying Pays Off For Virginia Wade.". Portsmouth Daily Times (Wimbledon, London, England). 2 July 1977. Retrieved 17 January 2011.
- "Men's Doubles Finals 1884–2008". wimbledon.org. Retrieved 17 January 2011.
- "Ladies' Doubles Finals 1913–2008". wimbledon.org. Retrieved 17 January 2011.
- "Mixed Doubles Finals 1913–2008". wimbledon.org. Retrieved 17 January 2011.
- "Wimbledon – Boys' Singles". ITFTennis.com. Retrieved 17 January 2011.
- "Wimbledon – Girls' Singles". ITFTennis.com. Retrieved 17 January 2011.
- Little, Alan (2013). Wimbledon Compendium 2013 (23 ed.). London: All England Lawn Tennis & Croquet Club. p. 327–334. ISBN 978-1899039401.
1977 French Open
|Grand Slams||Succeeded by
1977 U.S. Open