1977 in Malaysia
This article does not cite any sources. (December 2009) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
1977 in Malaysia
20 years of the nationhood
- Yang di-Pertuan Agong: Sultan Yahya Petra
- Raja Permaisuri Agong: Raja Perempuan Zainab
- Prime Minister: Tun Hussein Onn
- Deputy Prime Minister: Dato' Dr Mahathir Mohammad
- Lord President: Mohamed Suffian Mohamed Hashim
- Sultan of Johor: Sultan Ismail
- Sultan of Kedah: Sultan Abdul Halim Muadzam Shah
- Sultan of Kelantan: Tengku Ismail Petra (Regent)
- Raja of Perlis: Tuanku Syed Putra
- Sultan of Perak: Sultan Idris Shah II
- Sultan of Pahang: Sultan Ahmad Shah (Deputy Yang di-Pertuan Agong)
- Sultan of Selangor: Sultan Salahuddin Abdul Aziz Shah
- Sultan of Terengganu: Sultan Ismail Nasiruddin Shah
- Yang di-Pertuan Besar of Negeri Sembilan: Tuanku Jaafar
- Yang di-Pertua Negeri (Governor) of Penang: Tun Sardon Jubir
- Yang di-Pertua Negeri (Governor) of Malacca: Tun Syed Zahiruddin bin Syed Hassan
- Yang di-Pertua Negeri (Governor) of Sarawak:
- Yang di-Pertua Negeri (Governor) of Sabah:
- 24 January – Former Selangor Menteri Besar, Datuk Harun Idris is found guilty and is sentenced by the High Court to six months jail for forgery and fined RM 15,000 or six months jail for abetting criminal breach of trust involving nearly RM 6.5 million worth of Bank Rakyat's stocks and shares
- 24 April – Five children are killed in a saloon racing car accident at the Batu Tiga Circuit during the Malaysian Grand Prix.
- 11 May – The Tugu Negara (National Monument) is finally repaired and restored to its original state.
- June – The construction of the North–South Expressway project begins.
- 7 July – The 25th anniversary of Federal Land Development Authority (FELDA) is celebrated.
- 8 August – The 10th anniversary of Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) is celebrated.
- 15 August – Communist Party of Malaya (CPM) assault group launch an ambush at East–West Highway from Gerik, Perak to Jeli, Kelantan. Five soldiers from the 11th Battalion of the Askar Wataniah (Territorial Army) were ambushed by 30 Communist terrorist during left Post 8 for Post 5 on patrol and to obtain supplies.
- 27 September – Japan Airlines Flight 715 crashes at Subang, Selangor, killing 34 of the 79 people on board.
- 8 November – A State of emergency is declared in the state of Kelantan following a political impasse and street violence.
- 19–26 November – The 1977 Southeast Asian Games are held.
- 4 December – Malaysian Airline System Flight 653 is hijacked and crashes in Tanjung Kupang, Johor, killing all 100 on board.
- 19 December–26 December – 1977 Southeast Asian Games
- Noorkhiriah — Actress and comedians
- Wong Choong Hann — Malaysian badminton player
- Azmyl Yunor — Singer-songwriter
- Tan Sri Syed Jaabar Albar — UMNO General Secretary and Minister of Rural Development
- Tun Mohd Hamdan Abdullah — Sabah state Yang di-Pertua Negeri (Governor) (1977)
- Tun Abdul Malek Yusuf — Second Malacca state Yang di-Pertua Negeri (Governor) (1959–1971)
- Sultanah Aminah Ungku Ahmad — Sultanah of Johor, consort of Sultan Ismail.
- 4 December – Malaysian Airline System (MAS) Flight 356 crash. Two of the 73 Malaysian victims who were perished in the Malaysian Airline System Flight 653 crash in Tanjung Kupang, Johor including: