1977 in art
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
|This article does not cite any references or sources. (December 2009)|
- Starr Kempf constructs the first of his "wind sculptures".
- documenta 6 takes place.
- Douglas Crimp curates "Pictures," featuring Jack Goldstein, Cindy Sherman, Sherrie Levine and others, at Artists Space in New York.
- Suzanne Lacy's extended performance piece about rape, Three Weeks in May takes place in Los Angeles from May 8 to May 24.
- Retrospective of Valentine Hugo at the Centre Culturel Thibaud de Champagne, Troyes.
- Retrospective of Frida Kahlo at the Instituto Nacional de Bellas Artes, Mexico City.
- Marina Abramović and Ulay – Expansion in Space
- Walter De Maria – The Lightning Field (land art)
- Lucian Freud – Naked Man with Rat
- Gilbert & George – Series of Red Morning works
- David Hockney – My Parents
- Donald Judd – Untitled (Meter Box)
- Nabil Kanso – The Vortices of Wrath (Lebanon 1977)
- Jacob Lawrence – Self-portrait
- Gordon Matta-Clark – Jacob's Ladder
- Robert Morris – Williams Mirrors
- David Shepherd – Tiger in the Sun
- Cindy Sherman – Untitled Film Stills (through 1980)
- Jean Tinguely – Tinguely Fountain and Carnival Fountain (Fasnachtsbrunnen) (both kinetic sculptures in Basel)
- Don Wilson – Interlocking Forms, Portland, Oregon
- 8 February – Yucef Merhi, Venezuelan artist, poet and computer programmer.
- 16 April – Florentijn Hofman, Dutch installation artist.
- 16 December – Kevin Gillespie, American comic book creator and graphic artist.
- 27 April – Charles Alston, American artist, muralist, and teacher (b. 1907).
- 27 June – Ivan Tabaković, Serbian painter (b. 1898)
- 3 July – Gertrude Abercrombie, American painter (b. 1909).
- 21 July – Lee Miller, American photographer (b. 1907).
- 23 August – Naum Gabo, Russian sculptor (b. 1890).
- 11 September – Augustus Dunbier, American painter (b. 1888).
- 23 September – John Nash, English painter, illustrator, and engraver (b. 1893).
- 20 October – Marie-Thérèse Walter, mistress of Pablo Picasso (b. 1909).
- 4 November – Keith Vaughan, English painter (b. 1912) (suicide).
- 5 November – René Goscinny, French comic book author, editor and humorist (b. 1926).
- 21 December – Seán Keating, Irish romantic-realist painter (b. 1889).
Full date unknown
- Fryd, Vivien Green (Spring 2007). "Suzanne Lacy's Three Weeks in May: Feminist Activist Performance Art as "Expanded Public Pedagogy"". NWSA Journal (The Johns Hopkins University Press) 19 (1): 23–38.