1977 in the Philippines
Jump to navigation Jump to search
1977 in the Philippines details events of note that happened in the Philippines in the year 1977.
- June 28 – At least 17 persons were killed in a landslide caused by heavy rains in southern Philippines.
- August 21-27 – World Law Conference was held in Manila. On August 22, during the event, President Marcos announces amnesty for some persons "deemed guilty of subversion."
- September 5 – Sixteen persons were killed and 24 others were injured when two speeding trucks crashed into a bus in the Philippines.
- September 30 – Eugenio Lopez, Jr. and Sergio Osmeña III escaped from detention in Fort Bonifacio and flee to the United States.
- October 10 – Patikul massacre leaves 35 Philippine Army officers and men dead.
- October 21 – A U.S. Marine Corps helicopter crashed during a military exercise in Mindoro, killing 24 servicemen.
- November 10 – Communist Party of the Philippines (CPP) Chairman Jose Maria Sison was arrested.
- November 15 – A typhoon killed about 80 persons in northern Philippines. Included among the dead were at least 40 persons killed in a hotel set off by a candle lit during a power failure.
- November 25 – Benigno Aquino Jr. was found guilty of charges and sentence him to death by firing squad, but the death sentence was postponed.
- December 16–17 – National referendum was called where the majority of the voters voted that President Ferdinand Marcos should continue in office as incumbent President and Prime Minister after the organization of the Interim Batasang Pambansa.
- December 16 – Thirty-two patients were killed by a fire in a mental hospital near Manila.
- January 12 – Piolo Pascual, Filipino actor
- February 14 – Donna Cruz, Filipino actress and singer
- February 25 – Niña Corpuz
- May 7 – Bam Aquino, Filipino politician
- May 12 – Onemig Bondoc, Filipino actor
- July 18 – Sunshine Cruz, Filipino actress
- September 5 — Patricia Bermudez-Hizon, Filipino sportscaster
- October 18 – Gloc-9, Filipino rapper and recording artist
- December 16 – Jennifer Mendoza, Former That's Entertainement Wednesday Group Member, Former Singer, Actress and TV host
- April 30 – Eddie Peregrina, Filipino singer (b. 1945)
- May 1 – José Locsin, Filipino doctor and politician (b. 1891)
- August - Eulogio Balao, Filipino soldier and politician (b. 1907)
- September 8 - George J. Willmann, Naturalized Filipino missionary from the United States. (b. 1897)
- November 11 – Abraham Sarmiento, Jr., Filipino journalist and political activist (b. 1950)
- The 1978 World Book Year Book. Chicago, IL 60654: World Book-Childcraft International, Inc. 1978. ISBN 0-7166-0478-7.
- "Memorandum Circular No. 979, s. 1977". GOV.PH. Official Gazette of the Republic of the Philippines. April 25, 1977. Retrieved August 3, 2016.
- "Kasaysayan: The Story of the Filipino People, Volume 10: Timeline of Philippine History" (PDF).