1978 Australian Sports Sedan Championship
The 1978 Australian Sports Sedan Championship was a CAMS sanctioned national motor racing title for drivers of Group B Sports Sedans. It was the third Australian Sports Sedan Championship title to be awarded by CAMS.
The championship was contested over a seven round series.
- Round 1, Surfers Paradise International Raceway, Queensland, 21 May
- Round 2, The Advertiser Trophy, Adelaide International Raceway, South Australia, 11 June
- Round 3, Wanneroo Park, Western Australia, 18 June
- Round 4, Sandown Park, Victoria, 2 July
- Round 5, Lakeside, Queensland, 17 July
- Round 6, Calder, Victoria, 6 August
- Round 7, Symmons Plains, Tasmania, 17 September
All rounds were contested over two heats except for the Calder round which was staged as a single race.
Where a round was contested over more than one heat, round points were awarded on a 20-16-13-11-10-9-8-7-6-5-4-3-2-1 basis to the first 14 placegetters in each heat. These points were then aggregated to determine the placings for the round. Where more than one driver attained the same total, the relevant round placing was awarded to the driver with the highest placing in the last heat.
|1||Allan Grice||6||Chevrolet Corvair||Craven Mild Racing||9||-||6||9||9||3||9||45|
|2||Jim Richards||12||Ford XC Falcon Hardtop||Jim Richards Motor Racing||6||9||9||6||6||9||(3)||45 (48)|
|3||Bruce Gowans||11||Toyota Celica-Repco Holden||Ling Gowans Toyota||-||-||3||4||4||-||6||17|
|4||Ron Harrop||2||Holden LH Torana||Marlboro Holden Dealer Team||-||6||4||3||-||-||-||13|
|5||John Mann||Ford Cortina||-||-||-||-||-||6||2||8|
|7||Tony Edmondson||9||Chrysler VK Charger-Repco Holden||Donald Elliott||3||4||-||-||-||-||-||7|
|8||Pat Crea||300||Ford Cortina||Pat Crea||1||3||-||-||2||-||-||6|
|9||Garry Rogers||34 & 3||Holden HQ Monaro||Greater Pacific Finance||4||-||-||1||-||-||-||5|
|10||Clem Smith||15||Chrysler VH Valiant Charger||Clem Smith||-||-||-||-||-||4||-||4|
|11||Geoff Russell||35||Holden LJ Torana||-||-||-||-||3||-||-||3|
|12||Phil Ward||32||Ford Escort Mark 1||Wrigleys 2UW Racing Team||2||-||-||-||-||-||-||2|
|Murray Carter||Ford Falcon||-||-||-||2||-||-||-||2|
|Neil West||Hillman Imp||-||-||-||-||-||2||-||2|
|15||David Jarrett||14||Chevrolet Camaro||Shell Sport||-||1||-||-||-||-||-||1|
|Ian Diffen||98||Holden Torana||-||-||1||-||-||-||-||1|
|Steve Land||Holden Torana||-||-||-||-||1||-||-||1|
|Andy McIntyre||Morris Cooper||-||-||-||-||-||1||-||1|
|Ken Hastings||Volkswagen Karmann Ghia||-||-||-||-||-||-||1||1|
Notes and references
- Conditions for Australian Titles, 1978 CAMS Manual of Motor Sport, pages 84-86
- CAMS Online Manual of Motor Sport > About CAMS > Australian Titles Retrieved from www.camsmanual.com.au on 2 July 2010
- Australian Competition Yearbook Number 8, pages 144-151
- Jim Shepherd, A History of Australian Motor Sport, 1980, pages 160-162
- Official Programme, Adelaide International Raceway, Sunday, 11 June 1978
- Total points have been calculated from the round results published in Australian Competition Yearbook Number 8, page 151
- Jim Richards scored a total of 48 championship points compared to the 45 earned by Allan Grice. The "best six round results" rule meant that both drivers retained 45 points however Grice was awarded the championship title based on his four round wins to Richards’ three.