1978 North Indian Ocean cyclone season
|1978 North Indian Ocean cyclone season|
Season summary map
|First system formed||May 14, 1978|
|Last system dissipated||November 29, 1978|
|• Maximum winds||
140 km/h (85 mph)|
|• Lowest pressure||953 hPa (mbar)|
The 1978 North Indian Ocean cyclone season had no bounds, but tropical cyclones in the North Indian Ocean tend to form between April and December, with peaks in May and November. The 1978 season produced 4 cyclonic storms of which developed into 2 severe cyclonic storms. All four of the storms formed in the Bay of Bengal and three of those made landfall. The most notable storm of the season was Severe Cyclonic Storm Four which hit Sri Lanka.
Cyclonic Storm 01B
|Tropical storm (SSHWS)|
|Duration||May 14 – May 17|
|Peak intensity||110 km/h (70 mph) (1-min)|
A depression formed in the northern Bay of Bengal on May 14 and move northward. The depression slowly strengthened into a cyclonic storm On May 15. The storm reached its maximum intensity of 70 mph (113 km/h) before making landfall in Eastern Bangladesh on May 17 and dissipating thereafter. The effects from Cyclonic Storm One if any are unknown.
Cyclonic Storm 02B
|Tropical storm (SSHWS)|
|Duration||October 25 – October 28|
|Peak intensity||75 km/h (45 mph) (1-min)|
Another tropical depression formed in the Bay of Bengal on October 25 and moved northwestward. The depression became a cyclonic storm the following day The storm then turned to the northeast and then back to the northwest were its winds peaked at 45 mph (72 km/h) before dissipating off the coast of Bangladesh on October 28.
|Category 1 tropical cyclone (SSHWS)|
|Duration||November 3 – November 13|
|Peak intensity||150 km/h (90 mph) (1-min)|
Very Severe Cyclonic Storm 04B
|Very severe cyclonic storm (IMD)|
|Category 2 tropical cyclone (SSHWS)|
|Duration||November 19 – November 29|
|Peak intensity||140 km/h (85 mph) (3-min) 953 hPa (mbar)|
The final tropical cyclone existed from November 19 to November 29. The 1978 Sri Lanka cyclone was the strongest tropical cyclone to strike Eastern province of Sri Lanka, making landfall on November 23.
- List of North Indian Ocean cyclone seasons
- 1978 Atlantic hurricane season
- 1978 Pacific hurricane season
- 1978 Pacific typhoon season
- Australian cyclone seasons: 1978–79, 1979–80
- South Pacific cyclone seasons: 1978–79, 1979–80
- South-West Indian Ocean cyclone seasons: 1978–79, 1979–80
- Unisys (2007). "1978 Hurricane/Tropical Data for Northern Indian Ocean". Retrieved 2007-10-19.
- Unisys (2007). "Cyclonic Storm One Best Track Data". Retrieved 2007-10-19.
- Unisys (2007). "Cyclonic Storm Two Best Track Data". Retrieved 2007-11-02.
- Unisys (2007). "Cyclonic Storm Four Best Track Data". Retrieved 2015-12-13.