1978 Wimbledon Championships
|1978 Wimbledon Championships|
|Date||26 June – July 8|
|Category||Grand Slam (ITF)|
|Draw||128S / 64D / 64XD|
London, United Kingdom
|Bob Hewitt / Frew McMillan|
|Kerry Melville Reid / Wendy Turnbull|
|Betty Stöve / Frew McMillan|
The 1978 Wimbledon Championships was a tennis tournament that took place on the outdoor grass courts at the All England Lawn Tennis and Croquet Club in Wimbledon, London, United Kingdom. The tournament ran from 26 June until 8 July. It was the 92nd staging of the Wimbledon Championships, and the third Grand Slam tennis event of 1978.
The total prize money for 1978 championships was £279,023. The winner of the men's title earned £19,000 while the women's singles champion earned £17,100.
|Event||W||F||SF||QF||Round of 16||Round of 32||Round of 64||Round of 128|
|Men's Doubles *||£7,500||£3,600||£2,000||£1,000||£500||£160||£75||N/A|
|Women's Doubles *||£6,500||£3,120||£1,600||£800||£350||£110||£50||N/A|
|Mixed Doubles *||£4,000||£2,000||£840||£480||£240||£0||£0||N/A|
* per team
- It was Navratilova's 1st Grand Slam singles title.
- "Wimbledon 1978 – Info". ITFTennis.com. Retrieved 17 January 2011.
- "Borg Romps Past Connors.". Milwaukee Journal Sentinel. Wimbledon, London, England. 8 July 1978.
- "Martina Navratilova Fulfills Her Highest Ambition.". St. Joseph News-Press. Wimbledon, London, England. 8 July 1978.
- "Men's Doubles Finals 1884–2008". wimbledon.org.
- "Ladies' Doubles Finals 1913–2008". wimbledon.org.
- "Mixed Doubles Finals 1913–2008". wimbledon.org.
- "Wimbledon – Boys' Singles". ITFTennis.com.
- "Wimbledon – Girls' Singles". ITFTennis.com.
- Little, Alan (2013). Wimbledon Compendium 2013 (23 ed.). London: All England Lawn Tennis & Croquet Club. p. 327–334. ISBN 978-1899039401.
1978 French Open
|Grand Slams||Succeeded by
1978 US Open