1978 in British radio
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
This is a list of events in British radio during 1978.
- 8 March – The first episode of The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy - the radio series later to be turned into a book, a television programme, a game, and a film - is broadcast on BBC Radio 4.
- 3 April –- Permanent radio broadcasts of proceedings in the House of Commons begin.
- 29 April - Noel Edmonds presents his final Radio 1 Breakfast Show.
- 2 May - Dave Lee Travis succeeds Noel Edmonds as presenter of the Radio 1 Breakfast Show.
- 23 November –- Radio 1's transmission wavelength is moved from 247m (1214 kHz) to 275 & 285m (1053 & 1089 kHz) as part of a plan for BBC AM broadcasting in order to improve national AM reception, and to conform with the Geneva Frequency Plan of 1975. The Radio 4 UK Theme is also used for the first time.
- 23 November - BBC Radio Scotland
Closing this year
|This section is empty. You can help by adding to it. (March 2013)|
- 28 April - Lauren Laverne, radio and television presenter
- 15 January - Jack Jackson, 71, trumpeter, bandleader and disc jockey