1978 in art
Jump to navigation Jump to search
The year 1978 in art involved some significant events and new works.
- 27 June – Stitching the Standard by Edmund Leighton is sold at Sotheby's in Belgravia to a private collector.
- Dan Flavin – untitled (to the real Dan Hill)
- Helen Frankenthaler – Cleveland Symphony Orchestra
- David Gentleman – "Eleanor cross" mural for Charing Cross tube station (London)
- Jack Goldstein – The Jump
- Michael Heizer – Isolated Mass/Circumflex (Number 2) (land art, Houston, Texas)
- Bryan Hunt – Big Twist (bronze, Houston, Texas)
- Nabil Kanso – Hiroshima Nagasaki One-Minute
- Liz Leyh – Concrete Cows (Milton Keynes)
- Odd Nerdrum – The Murder of Andreas Baader
- Dennis Oppenheim – Cobalt Vectors – An Invasion
- Mikhail Savitsky – Partisan Madonna of Minsk
- 19 September – Russell Ouellett, American artist and therapist (b. 1978).
- 10 January – Gluck, born Hannah Gluckstein, English painter (b. 1895)
- 19 January – Živko Stojsavljević, Serbian painter (b. 1900).
- 13 April – Jack Chambers, Canadian artist and filmmaker (b. 1931).
- 8 May – Duncan Grant, Scottish painter (b. 1885).
- 31 May – Hannah Höch, German Dada photomontage artist (b. 1889).
- 13 July – Oliver Messel, English-born stage designer (b. 1904).
- 5 August – Victor Hasselblad, Swedish inventor and photographer (b. 1889).
- 14 August – Nicolas Bentley, British author and illustrator (b. 1907).
- 27 August – Gordon Matta-Clark, American artist (b. 1943).
- 6 November – Harry Bertoia, Italian-born American artist and designer (b. 1915).
- 8 November – Norman Rockwell, American painter and illustrator (b. 1894).
- 20 November – Giorgio de Chirico, Greek-Italian painter (b. 1888).
Full date unknown
- Gabriel Hayes, Irish sculptor and coin designer (b.1909).
- Leo Michelson, Latvian-American painter and sculptor (b.1887).