1979 Pan American Games
|Host||San Juan, Puerto Rico|
|Events||250 in 24 sports|
|Opened by||Governor Carlos Romero Barceló|
|Cauldron lighter||Cynthia Guadalupe|
|Main venue||Hiram Bithorn Stadium|
The 1979 Pan American Games (Spanish: Juegos Panamericanos de 1979), officially the VIII Pan American Games were a multi-sport event governed by the Panam Sports Organization, and were held in San Juan, Puerto Rico, from July 1 to July 15, 1979. The 1980 documentary film A Step Away showcased a number of athletes competing in the Games.
On May 31, 1973, San Juan was the only candidate city to be a finalist to host the games and thus, San Juan was then selected to host the VIII Pan American Games by PASO at its general assembly in Santiago, Chile.
- Archery ( )
- Athletics ( )
- Baseball ( )
- Basketball ( )
- Boxing ( )
- Cycling ( )
- Diving ( )
- Equestrian ( )
- Fencing ( )
- Field hockey ( )
- Football ( )
- Gymnastics ( )
- Judo ( )
- Roller sports ( )
- Rowing ( )
- Sailing ( )
- Shooting ( )
- Softball ( )
- Swimming ( )
- Synchronized swimming ( )
- Table tennis ( )
- Tennis ( )
- Volleyball ( )
- Weightlifting ( )
- Wrestling ( )
|Totals (5 entries)||235||205||184||624|
^ The medal count for Canada is disputed.
The 1979 Games were the first one to feature a mascot, which was a running frog holding a torch named Coqui.
- ^ "Belle Époque: San Juan 1979". ESPN Deportes (in Spanish). July 4, 2015. Retrieved February 1, 2019.
- ^ "Los VIII Juegos Panamericanos de San Juan son un evento que no se olvida" [The VIII Pan-American Games of San Juan is an event that is not forgotten]. Primera Hora (in Spanish). June 30, 2009. Retrieved February 1, 2019.
- ^ "Puerto Rico hará Panamericanos" [Puerto Rico has Panamerican]. El Tiempo (in Spanish). Santiago, Chile. Associated Press. June 1, 1973. p. 1-C. Retrieved February 1, 2019.
- ^ "PAN AMERICAN GAMES SAN JUAN 1979 - MEDALS TABLE PAN AM 1979 - Pan American Games - San Juan Puerto Rico 1979". Quadrodemedalhas.com. Retrieved December 1, 2017.
- San Juan 1979 - VIII Pan American Games - Official Report (Part 1) at PanamSports.org
- San Juan 1979 - VIII Pan American Games - Official Report (Part 2) at PanamSports.org
- 1979 Pan American Games
- International sports competitions hosted by Puerto Rico
- 1979 in Puerto Rican sports
- Multi-sport events in Puerto Rico
- 1979 in multi-sport events
- Sports in San Juan, Puerto Rico
- Pan American Games
- 1979 in North American sport
- 1979 in South American sport
- 20th century in San Juan, Puerto Rico
- July 1979 sports events in North America