1979 US Open (tennis)
|1979 US Open|
|Date||28 August – 9 September|
|Category||Grand Slam (ITF)|
|Location||Flushing Meadows, New York, United States|
|Venue||National Tennis Center|
|John McEnroe |
|Tracy Austin |
|Peter Fleming / John McEnroe |
|Betty Stöve / Wendy Turnbull |
|Greer Stevens / Bob Hewitt |
The 1979 US Open was a tennis tournament played on outdoor hard courts at the USTA National Tennis Center in New York City in New York in the United States. It was the 99th edition of the US Open and the third Grand Slam tennis event of the year. The tournament was held from August 28 to September 9, 1979. John McEnroe and Tracy Austin won the singles titles.
- It was McEnroe's 1st career Grand Slam title.
- It was Austin's 1st career Grand Slam title. Austin also became the youngest-ever US Open champion, aged 16 years and 9 months.
- "ATP – 1979 US Open Men's Singles Draw". ATP.
- "WTA – 1979 Tournaments – US Open" (PDF). WTA.
- "ATP – 1979 US Open Men's Doubles Draw". ATP.
- Bud Collins (2010). The Bud Collins History of Tennis (2nd ed.). [New York]: New Chapter Press. pp. 197–199. ISBN 978-0942257700.
- John Barrett (1980). World of Tennis 1980. London: Queen Anne Press. pp. 59–68. ISBN 9780362020120.
1979 Wimbledon Championships
|Grand Slams||Succeeded by|
1979 Australian Open