1979 Wimbledon Championships
|1979 Wimbledon Championships|
|Date||25 June – 7 July|
|Category||Grand Slam (ITF)|
|Draw||128S / 64D / 64MX|
London, United Kingdom
|Björn Borg |
|Martina Navratilova |
|Peter Fleming / John McEnroe|
|Billie Jean King / Martina Navratilova|
|Greer Stevens / Bob Hewitt|
The 1979 Wimbledon Championships was a tennis tournament that took place on the outdoor grass courts at the All England Lawn Tennis and Croquet Club in Wimbledon, London, United Kingdom. The tournament ran from 25 June until 7 July. It was the 93rd staging of the Wimbledon Championships, and the second Grand Slam tennis event of 1979.
The total prize money for 1979 championships was £277,066. The winner of the men's title earned £20,000 while the women's singles champion earned £18,000.
|Event||W||F||SF||QF||Round of 16||Round of 32||Round of 64||Round of 128|
|Men's Doubles *||£8,000||£4,000||£2,000||£1,000||£520||£170||£80||N/A|
|Women's Doubles *||£6,930||£3,464||£1,600||£800||£364||£116||£54||N/A|
|Mixed Doubles *||£4,200||£2,100||£1,000||£500||£250||£0||£0||N/A|
* per team
- It was Borg's 8th career Grand Slam title, and his 4th Wimbledon title.
- It was Navratilova's 2nd career Grand Slam title, and her 2nd (consecutive) Wimbledon title.
- This was King's 20th Wimbledon title overall, surpassing Elizabeth Ryan's record of 19 overall titles. This record was subsequently matched by Navratilova in 2003.
- Collins, Bud (2010). The Bud Collins History of Tennis (2nd ed.). [New York]: New Chapter Press. pp. 422, 432. ISBN 978-0942257700.
- "Results Archive – 1979 Wimbledon Men's Singles". ATP. Retrieved 8 August 2012.
- Barrett, John (2001). Wimbledon : The Official History of the Championships. London: CollinsWillow. pp. 390, 391. ISBN 0007117078.
- Little, Alan (2013). Wimbledon Compendium 2013 (23 ed.). London: All England Lawn Tennis & Croquet Club. pp. 327–334. ISBN 978-1899039401.
1979 French Open
|Grand Slams||Succeeded by
1979 U.S. Open