1979 in the Philippines
Jump to navigation Jump to search
1979 in the Philippines details events of note that happened in the Philippines in the year 1979.
- President: Ferdinand Marcos (Nacionalista Party)
- Prime Minister: Ferdinand Marcos (Nacionalista Party)
- House Speaker: Querube Makalintal
- Chief Justice: Fred Ruiz Castro (until July 2), Enrique Fernando (starting July 2)
- March 29 – A fire in a discothèque and massage parlor in Manila killed 15 persons.
- April 10 – Presidential Decree No. 1616, an act to create an Intramuros Administration for the purpose of restoring and developing Intramuros was enacted.
- April 18 – A typhoon killed at least 12 persons, left hundreds homeless, and caused property damage estimated at $3.5 million.
- May 7 – Sangguniang Pampook elections are held for the Regional Legislative Assembly of the former Autonomous Regions in the Philippines which are the Region IX and Region XII.
- July 30 – Eat Bulaga!, the longest running noon-time variety show in the Philippines, premiered on RPN. It was also aired on ABS-CBN from 1989 to 1995 and on GMA Network since 1995.
- October 31 – Project Gintong Alay, a national sports program was commenced.
- November 12 – Melanie Marquez, was crowned as Miss International 1979 in the pageant night was held in Mielparque, Tokyo, Japan.
- December 20 – A bus plunged into a river in Isabela province, killing at least 50 persons.
- January 30 – Richard "Muji" Rivera, A heavy weight bodybuilder of the 90's
- January 29 – Ms Dawn Luna "Babasher" Alitre, One of the Cutest Filipina Actress
- January 28 – Roel Evangelista, Filipino Technical Support
- January 29 – Boom Labrusca, Filipino actor
- March 1 – Lee Vann Corteza, Filipino pool player
- April 10 – Ryan Agoncillo, Filipino film television actor model and photographer
- July 20 – Claudine Barretto, Filipina actress
- August 16 – Sarah Balabagan, Filipina prisoner and singer
- August 22 - Angelu De Leon Filipino actress
- November 19 - Mark Caguioa, Filipino basketball player
- November 26 – Sheryn Regis, Filipina singer, songwriter and television host
- June 9 – Rudy Fernandez, labor leader
- September 4 – Canuplin, Filipino stage performer and magician
- The 1980 World Book Year Book. Chicago, IL 60654: World Book-Childcraft International, Inc. 1980. ISBN 0-7166-0480-9.
- EatBulaga.TV: About the Show on eatbulaga.tv
- Ma. Lourdes Maniquis (1994). "Philippine Theater". In Nicanor Tiongson. CCP Encyclopedia of Philippine Art. V (1st ed.). Manila: Cultural Center of the Philippines. p. 272. ISBN 971-8546-30-8.